Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1

Cheap Manifold mod...

I know a few others have done this, but I thought I'd share some pictures. For those wishing to upgrade a 185 hp engine with an external IC there is really no need to buy an expensive RXT/RXP intake manifold. With a little finesse you can remove the restrictive flame arrestor from the GTX manifold. It takes a little time and patience, but it will come out. Now you have a free flowing intake without the expense of buying a 215hp manifold... and you don't have to shell out $55 for a stock IC block-off

Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00006.JPG 
Views:	286 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	31338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00007.JPG 
Views:	240 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	31339  

woah! how did you do that!? to late tho I already bought an intake from a RXP ...PR...

WOW looks like I am going to have to take off the manifold.

I've been looking for someone who has done this since for a couple of blue moons.

What exactly did you do, just stick something in there and pry it out?

Quote Originally Posted by _Lurker_ View Post
    I've been looking for someone who has done this since for a couple of blue moons.

What exactly did you do, just stick something in there and pry it out?
    I`m thinking he was very careful to get the plastic end cap off and still have a clean straight mating surface for either a block off or IC, unless Jeff didn`t remove this piece , that would be the ticket for those who just want to install a stock IC in the non IC manifolds!...PR...

PR take a look at his pictures, in the first one he set it up to look like it was removed from the TB side. In the second pic you can clearly see the cap still in place on the right side of the intake.

I'm in the process of turning my wife's gtc sc into an rxt and I think her manifold on my rxp is holding me back a little.

+1
    That did in fact come out of the TB hole. The wire mesh has a seam... and the seam is not fastened, just overlapped. Find it and you can pry it toward the center and begin a decreasing radius "collapse" of the mesh. You have to keep tearing the blue foam that joins it to the filter portion. After you have it twisted and collapsed as far as you can get it, you then have to take a very long screw driver and shove it down between the mesh and filter material. You have to do this repeatedly working around the circumference to break the mesh from the filter at the other end. It will eventually break loose and you are able to pull it out. Now collapse the filter within itself (like taking an "o" and making it a thick "c") and pull... presto... RXP/RXT intake with no IC block off required

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by _Lurker_ View Post
    PR take a look at his pictures, in the first one he set it up to look like it was removed from the TB side. In the second pic you can clearly see the cap still in place on the right side of the intake.

I'm in the process of turning my wife's gtc sc into an rxt and I think her manifold on my rxp is holding me back a little.
    yeah, I see that now, but still would be cool if you can remove the end cap!

I can say for sure that the flame arrestor is less restrictive than a RXP intake with IC still in it. with the GTX gearing I feel a bit of lag and then it hits hard... with just the stock GTX intake I didn`t feel any lag, sooo...PR...

Trust me, he makes it look easier than it is. Or possibly I didnt have a good tool for the job, mine came out, but in about 50 peices, haha.

+1
    Chris... I lost 3 1/2 pounds wrestling that thing out...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information