Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie with a question about Cavitation

First of all, I really enjoy reading all of the threads that everyone posts. There is a whole world out there (PWC Modifications ) that I was not aware of.

I bought an 03 GTX SC at the beginning of June that had about 58 hours on the ski. I enjoy the stability of the three seater and it has enough speed to satisfy my needs. My only problem is the cavitation that the ski develops at initial takeoff, and if I try to due multiple "circles".

After reading these forums, I decided to buy a Riva Intake Grate from the 4-Tec Performance store. When installing the grate, should I use LokTite or something similiar?

Also, I've read some other posts that people have stated that the stock grate is better than the Riva. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Troy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushhour View Post
    First of all, I really enjoy reading all of the threads that everyone posts. There is a whole world out there (PWC Modifications ) that I was not aware of.

I bought an 03 GTX SC at the beginning of June that had about 58 hours on the ski. I enjoy the stability of the three seater and it has enough speed to satisfy my needs. My only problem is the cavitation that the ski develops at initial takeoff, and if I try to due multiple "circles".

After reading these forums, I decided to buy a Riva Intake Grate from the 4-Tec Performance store. When installing the grate, should I use LokTite or something similiar?

Also, I've read some other posts that people have stated that the stock grate is better than the Riva. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Troy
    troy its just the wear ring thats giving you difficuties. as of cavitation, just change that piece of plastic. regrds bill. ps my freind welcome to the forum

I'm not sure how much that grate is going to help you unless riding in the ocean, the gtx is pretty big and stays planted pretty good.

You need to take a look at your wear ring and prop, also look at the carbon ring. If you have more than about .012-.015 inches clearance or gouges between prop and wear ring your performance will be degraded, same if the prop is dinged, chipped, out of wack. If your carbon ring is leaking you will suck air into the pump which will cause cavitation, the best way to check this is to tip the ski nose up while on the trailer and fill the hull with water up to the drive shaft, look for any leaks, then hook a hose up and run the ski, there should be no water leaking, engine running or not.
    Last edited by Lurker; 07-13-2007 at 07:58 PM.

+1
    welcome to the forum !

I guess back to one of my questions. Should I even worry about replacing the intake grate on the GTX? Also, how complicated is changing the wear ring? Any special tools required?

Thanks for any info.

+1
    I guess back to one of my questions. Should I even worry about replacing the intake grate on the GTX? Also, how complicated is changing the wear ring? Any special tools required?

Thanks for any info.
    this thread will help
    Green Hulk PWC Performance Forums - HOW TO: Change Wear Ring w/out Removing Im

Thanks for any info.
    I would change it. There is indeed a difference on the GTX at high speeds. You will stay planted better. I would not remove my grate on my GTX.

Thanks for the input. I changed my intake grate earlier tonight, which allowed me to get a good look at my wear ring and the prop. The wear ring has a few rings wore into the sides.........so it needs to be changed. Also, one of the blades on my prop has been bent over, near the corner. If I am not interested in purchasing a high performance prop, does anyone have any good ideas of possible replacements?

Thanks again,
    Troy

Send the prop to impros. I've tried several local shops. But no good. Correct me if i'm wrong anybody but i believe repair to be 100 - 150 dollars?

http://impros.com/

I just sent one to them yesterday. Used Island Racing in the past but thought I would try Impro's. Was about $124 + shipping. That was works with race finish and re-pitch. Not bad seeing as I really F'd it up. Kicker was it was brand new on Tuesday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4556.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	409.4 KB 
ID:	31486   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4555.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	390.7 KB 
ID:	31487  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information