Thread: Studdering Pro

Studdering Pro

I'm ready to give up soon. My Pro is not normal, it needs a can of act right.

I had put in a thread before how I can be driving around and all of a sudden it loses throttle response, it just shudders when you hit the gas. I had thought it was the exhaust valves not opening all the way on two cylinders, come to find out the cable were loose. I tightened those down and it didn't help that problem. Did seem to give me better acceleration though. One was real lose.

I'm not sure if these all are related or not. My hot sensor comes on periodically, but it is never hot. I have ordered a new board that I;m still waiting for from Jay, and put in a new thermostat. I think I just have a short. I will probably just end up taking out the thermostat.

It does the deth rev on the trailer. When you start it it idles just fine for a few seconds on the trailer. Then, you can hear the engine change adn begin to death rev. It's weird though, cause it will start off fine for a few seconds, maintaining around 1500 or so. Then you will just hear it adjusts itself and begin the death rev.

And most annoying of all, the shudder. You can be driven around haing fun and all of a sudden when you give it gas it will shudder. If you let off the gas it idles fine. Wait a few minutes and it will eventually go away. Then it will come back later, there is no predictability to this and I cannot create the situation for the life of me. It just happens when it happens. I did notice it will accelerate if you accelerate slowly, but no quick bursts. I've played with the carb adjustments.

Could this all be my board being kinda gunky, and once I switch that out it will be fine? I also seem to have a hard time restarting, but only sometimes. SOmeitmes it will fire right up after shutting it down, sometimes it won't and you have to wait 10 minutes or so and then it will.

I have avoided pulling the carbs, I've never done it. But I think I will have too. Assuming it is the carbs, what am I looking for to be bad? Needle? Pop-0ff? Diaphram? Rebuild kits are 40-50 a piece from what I've seen so I'm looking at 200 for the kits and all and to make a pop-off tester finally. And I've seen ph20 stressing the cleaning of the filters in the carbs lately, so I will definitely do that if I pull them. I have gray fuel lines? Are these theones notorious for the gunk build-up? Or was that just other models/years? I have downloaded the manuals for the carbs, someone posted them up for me before. I've checked fuel selector, and it seems fine. I wish one of you guys lived around here, we could go out together, be friends, I could bribe you with favors from my girlfriend and I could slowly suck you into helping me fix my sh!t.

When it runs, it runs great. No loss of RPM's or speed.

2000 pro 785

Thanks

+1
    I really think you need to pull those carbs and have a look see.
    If you feel uncomfortable with the carbs send them to Randy and let him go through them. It's about 40 bucks per carb and whatever parts he uses but it's still less than the cost of kits and doing something wrong.

Otherwise the first thing I would do is check the pop off.

Actually I guess the first thing I'd do is pressure check the engine and check for a vacuum leak, that death rev is unacceptable.

www.springbreak-florida.com rgard32's Avatar
    the hesitation is the carbs when u nail it is the pop-off...ive learned to live with it.....this is on stock carbs...

Pros are tricky at idle out of the water....if u let it idle to high..or play with the throttle..BOOM it flys up...then you have to kill it and restart it..and its fine SOMETIMES.....i just have my idle backed all the way out and use the throttle manually when i flush my ski.......YES it is annoying..but ive gotten used to it lol.

I pulled my carbs apart after 140 hrs and they look brand new..filters and all....doesnt mean yours are...so u better have a look lol.

ps--u could have an air leak...but i doubt it..I bet its carbs or electrical or a combination of both...

+1
    rgard, you have to be kidding me right??
    Live with it, that's the way they are? I don't recall mine being like that.
    He's reving to the moon, he probably has an air leak, it needs to be corrected or he'll never get it tuned correctly.
    If the idle stays low for a moment and then races off into space it may be as simple as a carb or base gasket leak.
    Antonio, check for air leaks FIRST!!

Put it in the water and let her idle. Get carb cleaner and spray at the bases of the carbs etc. if it raises the RPM, you found your leak.
    Don't use much and watch it, this stuff is flammable.

Maybe somebody has another, maybe even safer way to check for a leak??

www.springbreak-florida.com rgard32's Avatar
    mines that way.....and the one i had before that...it doesnt do it all the time...but it will do it..and i dont have an air leak....i think it runs slightly lean when u first start it up( cause of high popoff from the factory) and it likes to rev up.....SOMETIMES u can rev it up and it will come back down..

So find my air leak first? Got it. I'll let you know if I blow myself up. It use to not have the death rev, so I am not going to deal with it now.

I did check compression, and I've pulled the head off. One cylinder was a little lower, but within 10%. Piston walls were smooth as can be. All was good there.

Hopefully the air leak is by the carbs and I can fix it all at once. I don't want to send in the carbs, I will just do it myself. Who has found the best priced rebuild kits and where?

I've got to get this fixed, it drives me crazy. I will go to the lake today and try and find the air leak.

Well, I was going to go to the lake and look for an air leak with a can of carb cleaner and a fire retardent suit, then I noticed the corner of my apartment has flooded, the floor was soaking wet. It must have happened awhile ago, it was disgusting. Second time it has flooded, you'd think for a grand a month they could at least take care of this flooding problem, the first time it happened. I will go out tomorrow though, and let you guys know what I find.

Alright, got a throttle lever yesterday. Now I will begin troubleshooting again. It was way hard ahveing to pull the cable with my fingers. Thanks JetskiMN. Will take it out and look for the air leak.

Even better, got my electrical board from Atlantic today. Going out tomorrow to keep working on it. Throw in the new board and keep looking for a leak. Hopefully the weather is good.

Thread Information