'96 GSX..Has spark..has fuel..has compression..won't start

The title says it all...96 GSX..belongs to someone I know and I am trying to fix a bit of a hack job on a motor swap for a rebuilt SBT motor..the other person installed it...rebuilt the carbs..and then let it sit with out starting for about a year..now I have it..has fresh gas...is getting gas into the cylinders..has good compression....and has plenty of spark...will not start..I have checked the timing twice and its perfect (when I checked it the first time it was 180 degrees out)...it will crank and crank and crank and occasionally backfire but will not catch...I am at a bit of a loss...

Electrically I have checked the black box in the back and re-grounded all of the grounds both in the box and in the motor (starter ground)..the grounds inside the black box were corroded all to heck so I re-grounded them after cleaning the bolt and the grounding post...

any ideas?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Timing? RV timing or ignition timing? You need to check both...the mag cup has to be right, and the RV timing has to be right.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Timing? RV timing or ignition timing? You need to check both...the mag cup has to be right, and the RV timing has to be right.
    I knew someone here would think of something I hadn't...I only checked the RV timing..doh!

Will check ignition timing when I get home after work today

Thanks
    Ryan

The more I think about it the less sure I am that I know how to check ignition timing ...dont think I have ever done that before...any info? or is it something I should be able to find in a Clymer book....

Thread Information