Thread: slt 780 bilge

slt 780 bilge

hey everyone, so i know someone posted this awhile ago but i cant seem to find it. I have a slt 780 1996, last season the bilge started to run at a really slow speed (barely at all) when the ski wasnt even on. This killed my battery and left me stranded once. So i took some advise on here and wired the bilge to a switch.

Just the other day i got a new voltage regulator because some people mentioned that might be my problem. I put that in just now, it seems to work, but just wondering if when the ski is off and the teather isnt on it, should there be any reading of power on the orange power line comeing out of the power box that goes to the bilge? Right now I am getting a reading of 0.03 volts. Just dont want to hook it all back up and then still have the same problem.

Also the MFD stoped working. Again someone suggested the new Voltage Reg might help that. Doesnt seem to work still and i tried the fuse. Any other thoughts ?

thanks

hmm ok so from the looks of how many people have looked at this and there has been no response. I am guessing this is an odd question. If anyone can help even witha shot in the dark i would appreciate it.

thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by paramuir View Post
    If anyone can help even witha shot in the dark i would appreciate it.

thanks
    If everything works correctly I wouldn't sweat 0.03 volts.

How did you try the fuse? If the fuse is good then check for power at MFD,if there's no power work your way back towards the fuse.

If there is power and it still doesn't work then a member here can repair it for you.

Well paramuir, I too have a 96 SLT 780. The .03 volts at the bilge is nothing to worry about. Digital mutimeters are very sensitive and that voltage present there is probably not a draw but just transient voltage present there. My pump only runs when the engine runs- I have been considering installing a switch also. How did you wire yours up? My MFD was screwed up since I bought the ski. Sent it to Wetherby and it works perfect-$75 to GH members.

how do i check to see if there is power going to the MFD?? Which wire would i test and how much should there be?

As for how i installed the switch, just went to a boating supply place and found a wterproof switch and ran it between the power coming out of the electrical box and the bilge pump. Mounted it to the dash and its finsihed.
    Last edited by paramuir; 07-15-2007 at 05:11 PM.

+1
    You only want your 12+ volts at the orange while the engine is running.
    The .03 is nothing compared to the MFD.
    Check for power at the red/purple leading to the MFD (position1), if there IS 12 volts and the ground is good you'll need to have the MFD repaired or replaced.
    If there is no 12 volts, check for power after the fuse in the electrical box, if there is NONE-replace the fuse even if it looks good.
    If that doesn't solve the problem see if you have power going to the red/purple leading to the board in the electrical box.
    If not, check for power leaving the circuit breaker.
    We know the circuit breaker is good because you state the engine starts and trim works.
    Now, if you have power anywhere along the line yet it doesn'tmake it to the MFD, you'll be looking or a disconnected, dirty or damaged wire.
    Let us know what you find.

So in order to find 12 volts at the wire going to the MFD the ski has to be running correct?? Is it really bad to have it run briefly out of the water while i check this out?

+1
    Nada, the red/purple always has power.
    The orange only has power while running.
    Your MFD needs full time 12+volts.

Thread Information