Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar

96 SL900 Uh Oh Need HELP Please

OK I am just starting out with PWC engines but I imagine that the piston should not just come out on its own right.

So this is where it came from. BTW what is the proper name for each cylinder?

This is the Dome of the offending Piston. Looks like toast to me.

These are the Domes of the other pistons in correct order. These look OK.

This is the crank that looks to be beyond repair to me. Please correct me if I am wrong.

And to add insult to injury the mounting flange for the exhaust broke when the rod let loose. So much for that cylinder.

Finally I noticed that all the domes were wet and had a strange white film on them. Could this just be from the Ski sitting for 2 years. There was not any water in the bottom of the engine.

The previous owner did disclose that this ski needed a new engine so I am not too upset but I would like to solve the issue. By the looks of the Rod and the Dome I am going to assume a lean or no fuel condition. Also the owner had installed Champion plugs instead of NGK.

So what are my options now? Can I build this up to a 1200 using the 900 case with a new crank, cylinders, and domes. If so will I need to replace the carbs. I am used to FI and have never worked on a carb before. However, I have never met a tool or shop manual I did not like. So fire away gentlemen. Also is it even worth the upgrade to the 1200 if possible at all. I like the feel of my other 900 but am always looking for ways to go fast land, air , or sea. Is a 1200 in a 900 hull that much faster. Just how much HP or torque am I gaining? Also what am I looking at for cost. If we are talking 1k or more then I would be better off fixing this one and selling it for an actual 1200 right. Or is my thinking all wrong and is a 1050 a better way to go? After all the ski is 11 years old and I don't want to be upside down in it.

Thanks again

Christian79
    Last edited by christian79; 07-15-2007 at 12:16 AM.

RE

Personally, I think for the money and the time, just do a swap with SBT and get a whole new engine. Then you dont have to fool with that old one. You can buy the 1200 motor and i think send them the 900 back, but you will have to call them and see cause I dont know if they require the same motor back as their core.

I would say you can probably rebuild that motor that you have now, but obviously you will be replacing alot of parts. You will definetely need new pistons, a new head, rebuilt crank, new rods, seals, etc. The list goes on and on.

Call up SBT or visit there website at www.sbtontheweb.com

BarefootPolaris

ttt

So guys what happened to this motor? Any answers to my ???'s What do I need to do to convert this 900 to a 1050 or 1200? Mods If this should be in a different section please move it. I need some info please share the knowledge.

Christian79

Quote Originally Posted by christian79 View Post
    So this is where it came from. BTW what is the proper name for each cylinder?

Yes, Front = Mag cyliner
    Center = Center Cylinder
    Back = PTO Cylinder

This is the crank that looks to be beyond repair to me. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Talk to Randy at Watcon or Sharp's Marine. The will be able to tell you if it can be rebuilt. There was a new 1200 crank in the classified section the other day. Maybe check that out if you are going to go to a 1200

So what are my options now?

Options are many. If it were me and I wanted to upgrade to a 1200, I would have Sharp's build me one. Those guy can really now how to squeeze HP out of these things.

Also what am I looking at for cost. If we are talking 1k or more then I would be better off fixing this one and selling it for an actual 1200 right.

It will be hard to fix this for less that 1k, even if you do all of it your self.

Speed = $$$ How fast do you want to go?

Thanks again

Christian79

So am I better off getting another 900/1050 engine and installing it and then try to part this one out? The other to cylinders are fine maybe the crank can be repaired. I just want to get it fixed and wet Also are the 1200 DI's much faster than this?

+1
    Christian,

I've always been very anti-throw in a crap engine and see if I can beat the warranty odds kind of guy.
    If it were my ride, I'd do one of two things.
    Drop a larger cc'd engine in that bad boy and make it rip or rebuild what I have and perform "rec" mods and make it better and faster than it was before.
    Yes the 1200 platform costs more money as does the mods to the current engine you have.
    So I guess you really need to decide if you want to throw some money at the engine and have some fun and work your mechanical muscles a little bit OR do what some guys do and toss in an engine and call it a day.

If you chose the replace what you have route and are still into a little rebuilding fun or adventure, why not take on the task yourself?
    It will probably cost you more than a "mill" type power plant but that is what this forum is all about, I think others forget that.

Remember the crank is the back-bone to the engine and the better the crank the better the build. There are guys that take the time to do a crank right and there are those that just wanna make a buck.

I guess you just need to see where you fit in and make the call.
    No matter which route you chose we are all here to offer advise and help you in any way we can, after all you choose to ride a POLARIS!!

+1
    How many hours were on the engine?

About 95 hours. I just don't understand what happed to it. The pics say it all. I think I am going to replace the crank with a low hour OEM from Kristy and another member has a Cylinder for sale. After that I need to get a piston kit, manual, some refreshments, and a weekend. Anything else I should do? But I can't put it back together without figuring out what went wrong. Plus I will sell this some day and I want to do it right for the next guy or gal.

Thanks Guys.

BTW if I did get a 1200 DI complete with ECM and wiring, for some hull down the line is it a drop in or are mods required?

+1
    I wouldn't do a DI, the parts are going to get harder to find and the equipment to read codes or diagnose the stuff will be tougher to find as well.

It sounds like you have a great plan with a few of the members here and there'snothing more satisfying that stating you did it yourself.

My guess is the bearing went away, 100 hours is a pretty good run if the last owner never fogged the engine and left it exposed to the elements, water works it's evil on the cranks. I'm willing to bet the guy that fogs after every ride, follows and performs the maintenace procedures will last much longer than the guy/gal that beats it to death and then just parks it until next time.

Use a good oil (key here), maintane your craft, FOG THE ENGINE AFTER EVERY OUTING and you'll have tons of usable hours on you used ride.

He did mention that he never fogged it. HMMMMM So I will slap some new parts on there and see what happens I guess. BTW I noticed that after some serious playtime in the chop my other 900 had some milkygray liquid around the base of the carb. Any idea what could cause that? Also what could have caused all those impressions on the dome and piston?
    Last edited by christian79; 07-16-2007 at 11:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information