Jawz is right! Hull is Flexing at the FOOT

Still working on the hull. Today did a lot of grinding and removal of the loose layers of glass I noticed on the side that wasn't delaminated an almost circular area that is cracked in the gelcoat. And what do you know that is EXACTLY where the FOOT is where the inner bottom hull and the Outer hull are "glued" together.

Also around in the front area 1 foot or so down from where the eyelet is where you crank your jetski onto your trailer, on each side of the ski right before you go up to the sides of the ski, there are cracks about 2 feet long. That looks like hull flexing to me. It is exactly like Rudedog explained on his post on pwctoday forum before he was fired.

I will be removing the tub below the gas tank and reinforcing the bottom of the hull. this will involve putting more glass on and using a better foam than the loose styrofoam that seadoo has put between the inner and outer lower hull. MORE WORK.

Now I don't think that hitting a rock should have caused all this damage.

My brother hit a tree stump with my rxdi and I had to repair just a small 2 x 2 inch on that. This whole skin should not have totally cheese sliced off.

Hopefully can find some kind of polyurethane foam that will fill in all the air spaces so that this doesn't happen again.

Can anybody else see cracks in the gelcoat in a circular pattern. Looks like roughly the shape of a twinkie but about 5 -6 times the size.

Hey, for foam and glass I have used US Composites a few times and products are great... Used for footholds on stand-ups as well as hull repair... http://uscomposites.com/foam.html

Thanks that's a good lead I'm going to look into it.

Here are the pictures of the flex the white stuff is the glass powder from grinding. I think the fibers underneath the gelcoat has a certain affinity for the dust. You can see it outlined where the circular cracks are from where the underside where the foot is and you can also 2 foot lines following the edge of the boat. Is that flex guys?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hull Prep0 002.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	521.1 KB 
ID:	31494   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hull Prep0 004.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	556.2 KB 
ID:	31495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hull Prep 011.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	411.3 KB 
ID:	31496   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hull Prep 012.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	495.5 KB 
ID:	31497  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dochere195 View Post
    Hey, for foam and glass I have used US Composites a few times and products are great... Used for footholds on stand-ups as well as hull repair... http://uscomposites.com/foam.html

16lb foam, use this stuff and you will have no more flexing, but you add a lot more weight to the ski.

I have used 4lb on the footholds and 8lb a couple of times on rebuilds. Never 16lb. 8lb foam is very strong when cured so I can imagine that 16 would be like a rock...

Thread Information