Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My saga - and some questions

So my 2007 Stock GP1300R with stepped sponsons hit 64.9. I weigh 225lbs. So after putting on the R&D ride plate, intake grate, and pump shoe kit I hit 64.8 and it seemed like I lost thrust. Not happy at all. Boat felt like shit. So......

I sold my intake grate. Took the stock one and sanded it to take out all the imperfections, grinded the top so when the water entered into the pump it was smoother and when I installed it I made sure to push it up against the pump. I also took the shims out that came with the pump seal kit. I also noticed that I didn't grind on the pump enough for the plate to fit - so I finished grinding. Then I went over the plate with some sandpaper to make sure it was smooth and took out any imperfections. Countersunk the speedometer holes a little more and made sure the edges were nice and clean. Then took the boat out today.......

67.1 mph. And the punch was back.

I am going to fill the pump and ride plate holes to hopefully get another half mile per hour. Any sugestions before I do that.

I know about getting chucked off - I flew off today at 60 after letting off to hard. Im going to keep the stock grate and just make sure when doing top speed runs to not let off so quick because otherwise the boat is amazing. After I pushed the intake grate back and sanded the whole grate smooth I had no bucking at all today just perfectly smooth WOT runs.

Also I know have 16 hours on the boat with original plugs - I just took them out and checked them and cleaned them once or twice. When do you guys replace?

Thanks in advance!

***** I also took the shims out that came with the pump seal kit. ******

That was your loss of speed and acceleration. If the pump is hanging down just a little bit low you can loose big time speed. You want be able to run a straight edge across the hull and along the pump shoe bolt holes and be able to slide a nickle between the straight edge and pump shoe. Also ride plate angle is important.

You can do what you wish but I would REALLY NOT KEEP THAT GRATE on there. You got tossed today and was lucky. Ok Im done preaching now.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by porksword View Post
    ***** I also took the shims out that came with the pump seal kit. ******

That was your loss of speed and acceleration. If the pump is hanging down just a little bit low you can loose big time speed. You want be able to run a straight edge across the hull and along the pump shoe bolt holes and be able to slide a nickle between the straight edge and pump shoe. Also ride plate angle is important.

You can do what you wish but I would REALLY NOT KEEP THAT GRATE on there. You got tossed today and was lucky. Ok Im done preaching now.
    EXACTLY!!!!

You changed too much to blame it on the grate.

Warning !!! as you get faster with that stock grate ,the ski will turn and throw you off not only when you let off ,but at full throttle also. Also don't ride beside anyone with the stock grate , you might crash into the other ski (not IF you come off,but WHEN you come off ).Be Carefull and good luck.

Yea, it wasn't the grate and that stock grate might get you hurt. Be safe. What I would buy if I were you I would get a R&D 800r grate. That is the fastest there is and it is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post
    Yea, it wasn't the grate and that stock grate might get you hurt. Be safe. What I would buy if I were you I would get a R&D 800r grate. That is the fastest there is and it is safe.

So get a R&D intake grate for a GP800R????

Quote Originally Posted by jcorallo View Post
    Yep, it will be 1mph faster

Quote Originally Posted by jcorallo View Post
    If Jerry dont have them in the online store just Give Carl at Island racing a call and tell him you want an 800 grate for your GPR. He will know exactly what your talking about and might give you a few pointers as well.
    http://www.islandracing.net/watercraft.html

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertoys View Post
    Warning !!! as you get faster with that stock grate ,the ski will turn and throw you off not only when you let off ,but at full throttle also. Also don't ride beside anyone with the stock grate , you might crash into the other ski (not IF you come off,but WHEN you come off ).Be Carefull and good luck.

ditto on dat !

Please install another aftermarket grate ! for your safety !

Also Seal the pump shoe per these instructions
    http://www.hydrotoys.com/gpr/tuners/...Sealing%20.pdf

+1
    what shims are you talking about?
    SHOOTER

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information