Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What happens when the oil pump cable breaks? 2002 Virage

It's a 2002 Virage. What happens when the oil pump cable breaks? Normally, it appeares that the spring pulls the pump shut, and the more the throttle opens, the more the cable pulls against the spring for more oil. Someone mentioned in another thread, that the pump was designed to default to max oil if the pump closes completely. Can anyone verify this?

This may be the deciding factor as to whether I try to rebuild this engine or not.

I'm just a normal, can fix almost anything guy. Othertimes, I'm just stupid (according to the wife!)

Thanks for the help!

+1
    It will flip to full oil.

Great! Thanks for the info.

+1
    Al . it goes to no oil .The cable pulls the lever up increasing the oil to the crankcase ,venturies etc .To prime them you pull the lever up .So if the cable breaks it goes back overcentre and deny's oil to the engine .That is why cable inspections are a must .

Cheers

Bernie

+1
    No sir, it goes to full oil... backwards and full open.

+1
    Any time the line at the pump lever goes to the other side of the case marks (when cable breaks) it's getting full oil.
    I guess now would be a good time to say check and make sure the pump lever mark is aligned to the case mark. The cables do stretch just a little so an occassional adjustment is probably a great idea and as Bernie stated, it's a good idea to inspect the cable as well.

Anyone got some pics of what the marks look like??

Quote Originally Posted by 2kids3pets View Post
    Anyone got some pics of what the marks look like??
    Here you go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oilpumpadj.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	31764  

+1
    Ok,People I have set up a dummy pump tank and hose assy .I left the cable connected but removed it from the manifold linkage .I put a bolt in the head of my drill and put it in reverse .Bled hoses through whilst drill at max speed .Drill would not go as fast backwards as it does forwards but I had oil flow .With the handle pulled up to full throttle a constant pulse was oozing from the line .I let go of the cable and it dropped to virtually ZERO FLOW a very slight pulse only just enough to psuh the oil to the end of the hose but after 4 or 5 pulses a small drop came out the end of the feed line .If I removed the cable and let it go ,ie a snapped cable at the lever end (not common )the return spring only pulled the lever to the downward position .The flow was similar to the test earlier virtually Zero .If I physically moved the lever to the same position backwards as far as it would go the flow was the same as full flow .You would need to put the cable on backwards to reach this situation or your hand would need to move it as the spring on the lever will not get it to this position .
    So I would be worried with the oil flow at 7250rpm and the amount of oil going into my moter based on the test I have just done
    Cheers

Bernie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0071.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	441.5 KB 
ID:	31841   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0070.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	330.1 KB 
ID:	31842  

+1
    Don't know what to tell you Bernie, you might have a pump problem, I have one here and when I release the cable (as a break) it instantly flips to the back and delivers full oil flow.

When you install the pump you have to fight the spring pressure to attach the cable. The pump is "floating" in the neutral position when the two marks are lined up. You release or "break" the cable and the pump instantly goes backward and full flow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information