96 Seadoo GTI - take off issues

Hello! Just bought a 96 GTI - unit runs pretty good except it bogs on take off and seems like I have the throttle wide open and the boat doesn't move but then all of the sudden it takes off........any suggestions or ideas as to what is causing that? The unit runs perfect any other time, it's just like it's stuck then it all of the sudden kicks in and goes!

Thank you!

XLTNoob
    sounds like it's either starving for fuel, or it's getting too much fuel on takeoff.

"too much" is unlikely, as whatever is giving it too much fuel would continue.(it wouldn't get better)

there are numerous reasons why you could be starving for fuel.. I'm not too good with fuel delivery...so I'll stop there.

How well does it idle? will it idle all day or will it eventually die?

96 GTI take off issues

It idle's just fine.....just seems that when you gun it, it doesn't go then it all of the sudden catches. Could be a clogged fuel filter I suppose.......

Carb probs for sure.If it still runs try some STABIL you can get it autozone and mix with your fuel and it might clean up the gum in your carbs.Its kinda like gumout for 2 strokes and also keeps your fuel from turning bad while stored.

+1
    Need to clean/rebuild carbs & change all fuel line's & fuel selector valve.

Read this......http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27314

It could be a rave valve stuck open. Had a weak spring on my 97 GTX and was bogging down at low RPM but would take off once they came up. Fuel prob to me sounds like you would have it all the time where this is idling fine its not the pilot jet and your main is the top end. Also make sure the RAVE valve is tight to the cap(plastic). Its under the cap with red adjustment screw.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jwick86 View Post
    It could be a rave valve stuck open. Had a weak spring on my 97 GTX and was bogging down at low RPM but would take off once they came up. Fuel prob to me sounds like you would have it all the time where this is idling fine its not the pilot jet and your main is the top end. Also make sure the RAVE valve is tight to the cap(plastic). Its under the cap with red adjustment screw.
    96 gti do not have rave valves its a 717 motor

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jwick86 View Post
    Good info,wrong motor.

Thread Information