Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Carbon Ring/Leak FYI

my buddy had been having a leak on and off at the carbon seal for a bit now....i found out that water was getting in behind the prop splines and pushing the shaft forward up off the carbon seal creating the leak. I took the 4 pump bolts off and the pump back out by itself because of the water...

i greased up the nose cone o ring and put a new seal on the pump the one around the wear ring...and i also checked the boot to make sure it was tight againts that metal flange, used just a dab of marine grease on the carbon ring and yesterday with 3-4 hrs of riding she was fine...

last time out water was up to the SC..

Quote Originally Posted by meeper View Post
    my buddy had been having a leak on and off at the carbon seal for a bit now....i found out that water was getting in behind the prop splines and pushing the shaft forward up off the carbon seal creating the leak. I took the 4 pump bolts off and the pump back out by itself because of the water...

i greased up the nose cone o ring and put a new seal on the pump the one around the wear ring...and i also checked the boot to make sure it was tight againts that metal flange, used just a dab of marine grease on the carbon ring and yesterday with 3-4 hrs of riding she was fine...

There has been a thread on this by myeslf titled "help". I had to drill 2 holes in my nose cone.

+1
    This makes two in a week that i've heard about

So are you saying with the prop cone no leak, without it it was leaking?

+1
    no this prop i actually sold him and ran it no issues, i guess i didnt use enough grease on the splines to keep water out and it got in there and pushe the shaft forward, now the cone is still on because we do ride salt water time to time...

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    This makes two in a week that i've heard about
    As I said, when I was at the shop............a guy came in that just changed out his impeller and said he was leaking. By that time we knew the problem. I think this happens more then we realize

no this prop i actually sold him and ran it no issues, i guess i didnt use enough grease on the splines to keep water out and it got in there and pushe the shaft forward, now the cone is still on because we do ride salt water time to time...
    gotcha

, I`ve run the GTX with and without the cone and haven`t experienced this, what`s up? I read the thread and understand why, so how come all the ski`s don`t leak this way? even tho I run the stock rubber cone (which almost always comes off the aftermarket props in the first run) it`s just a matter of time before the grease gets washed out, but still no leaky...PR...

I am wondering the same thing Andy...I have been running coneless since
    Jerry posted about it way back when.....no leaks....(crosses fingers) But that is a purpose for the cone I never thought of.....if water were to fill the splines & empty space in front of the shaft it coul push the driveshaft forward & cause problems......I need to tweak the pellra again to get max RPMs and i am going to pack the hell out of it with grease!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TorquePhoto View Post
    I am wondering the same thing Andy...I have been running coneless since
    Jerry posted about it way back when.....no leaks....(crosses fingers) But that is a purpose for the cone I never thought of.....if water were to fill the splines & empty space in front of the shaft it coul push the driveshaft forward & cause problems......I need to tweak the pellra again to get max RPMs and i am going to pack the hell out of it with grease!!!
    keep in mind that packing the slined cavity with to much grease will also have same effect hydraulically pushing the shaft forward when installing the pump...PR...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information