Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

newb with 95 sl650std

Hey everybody. This is coachsteve and I have just inherited a 95 Polaris SL650STD. I've been reading the forums trying to find someone with the same problems/repairs, but nothing sound just the same.
    Here we go...
    Did a general maintenance check of the engine and replaced all filters, plugs, cleaned carbs and greased. Started up like a champ and idled fine. Went to give it some gas and it bogged out. I let it warm up a little longer, but as soon as you started to push the throttle it would barely get up enough speed to plane out. I hit a couple of wakes putting around and all of the sudden...hole shot and going 45mph. I tried to turn and it bogged out again (left and right).
    I changed out the fuel pump and set back to manufactures settings as I saw other people saying on the forums, but... How would any of that explain the loss in power when turning?

Coach,

Welcome to the Green Hulk!

Did you disassemble the carb to clean them? Did you replace the fuel lines?

+1
    Coach Steve, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Foums!!!
    My guess is carb related as well, there seems to be a run on plugged filters since this years "summer" gas??

Welcome coachsteve!

I had the same issue when I first got my ski. Clean out the fuel seperator and rebuild the carbs. That will take care of the issue indeed!

BarefootPolaris

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome Coach. You cleaned out the carbs, did you see the filters on the inside of them? They are on the back

newb with 95 sl650std

Thanks for the tips. I've got a rebuild kit coming in, so I'll look for that filter. I saw the same suggestion on previous forums, but I can't make the connection to why it would bog out in turns. I hooked up the flush kit and let it idle in my driveway, to make sure the fuel filters and seperators were staying full. Looks like I've got good pressure, so it must be somewhere in the carbs.
    I'll let you know what I find out.

newbie with sl650

Hey everybody,
    I rebuilt all 3 carbs and replaced the fuel pump and all related fuel lines. Took it out for a test run and it is still doing basically the same thing. It starts up, idles fine and acts like it is going to take off, but when you go to throttle up, it bogs down. It does not have an MFD so I do not know the RPMS, but it seems to get up to about 15MPH and plane out. After that the only way I can get more speed is to take load off the impeller by jumping a wake or pulling the choke up for a second and then letting it go. My basic knowledge of engines led me to believe this is a combustion problem, but I'm notI also tried bypassing the fuel selector switch, fuel filters, cleaning out the seperator and making minor adjustments to the high speed screw.

Is there a good way to do some tuning with the flush kit attached? I feel like there is just something simple that I'm missing.

Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure anyone in here will tell you that you have to tune your ski under load. Your garden hose, dispite whatever pressure you may have will not put a load on the ski. You have the prop in the water.
    Make sure you remove the S/P boots and trim back a quarter inch or so. Dialectric the ends and reinstall your Resistor boots. Your symptoms could very well be carburetion, but it also sounds like intermittant fire. Corroded cable ends will definitely give you intermittant fire.

+1
    Where do you have the jet screws set right now and what elevation do you ride/test?

Coach, did you check the reeds while you had the carbs off to rebuild? That was what my problem turned out to be in combination with the gummed up fuel seperator, and some nasty carbs.

BarefootPolaris

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information