Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New member/RXP owner with a few questions

After several years with the family Polaris MSX 140s, I finally went ahead and got an 07 RXP, and am 6 hours into the 10 hour break in period, so naturally, Im immediately thinking "What mods should I do?"

Now, Ive already read through the FAQs, filling in the rideplate holes and filing the intake grate, etc., but my concern is the warranty.

The dealer I bought it from(Motosports, Hanover PA) seemed to imply that Seadoo is rather strict with the warranty. I inquired about putting a finger throttle on, but they said that doing so would void the warranty.

In addition to the finger throttle and handblebar extensions, Im looking at replacing the troublesome supercharger washers and bearings(during the winter), getting a Riva intake grate, and a few other fairly iinexpensive mods, but will doing this stuff void my warranty, or in other words, what can I do without voiding my warranty?

thanks a lot for any help, hope this hasnt been covered before.

+1
    FYI It's been covered many times. From my understanding NO bolt on mods can void your warranty legally. However, your dealer may choose not to honor your warranty with your simple finger throttle mod. I suggest you find a new dealer if possible because this one already sounds like an idiot. It will only be a bigger hassle to try to further modify and convince your current dealer to do warranty work if something goes wrong..
    Others will comment.

+1
    Welcome to the GH forums!

if they are serious about the finger throttle, then you are seriously screwed with that dealer. I'm not joking. They are going to find a way to deny any and every warranty claim you ever submit. Consider going back and talking to the owner. Their claims of a finger throttle voiding a warranty are illegal, and wrong.

Options:
    -Consider talking to other dealers in the area. Show them your ski, and let them know you didn't know the dealer you bought from was such a nazi. Make a relationship with THEM before it blows. Don't ever go back, and instead build up a relationship with the new dealer for your next ski purchase.

-Sometimes buying accesories through the dealer "eases their concern" over upgrades. Sometimes they use it against you.

-Learn to do everything on your ski yourself. While time consuming and up-front-expensive, it can be the cheapest and most rewarding in the long run. Kiss the warranty goodbye unless you are good at hiding upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by ckybltz View Post
    In addition to the finger throttle and handblebar extensions, Im looking at replacing the troublesome supercharger washers and bearings(during the winter)

NO....NO......NO.....NO.......NO.....NO.....NO!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trust me.... you will not be doing any mods except one on your favorite phone calling your dealer(who I have to agree is an idiot by the way) asking how much longer it is going to take to do the $2000-$3000 "fix me up" on your engine because ceramic pieces have destroyed what used to be an amazing piece of machinery and shaking your head over the fact that it has already been 1-2 months.

Get those washers changed out ASAP!!!! Just do a search on it and listen to what a bunch of owners have already said when they realized their washers are no longer existent and your fuel pump is now garbage... literally.

+1
    welcome to the forum !

thanks for the replies

I suppose I will go ahead and do it anyway...Im definitely getting the feeling that these people arent the most honest people in the world as it is, I dont think Id take it to them if something went wrong anyway.

OK here is the thing, it is against the law to deny a warranty claim UNLESS it can be proved that a mod caused the failure or contributed to it.

It already sounds like this dealer is an idiot and I'd stay clear of them since they are not willing to back you, their customer, the person who spent $$$ on a new seadoo in their shop.

If you want to have some fun call or go down to the dealer and again ask them about the finger throttle, then tell them.

You...."So you are saying when my supercharger fails and sends ceramic through my engine, you are going to deny the warranty claim because I installed a finger throttle?"
    dealer...."yep"
    You....."I wonder what the bbb, state attorney general, FTC, and all my pwc friends would have to say about your deliberate disregard of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which specifically states that a dealer must prove an aftermarket part caused the need for repair before they can deny coverage"

If they want to be asses they will deny the claim, which you can either fight (not worth doing) or find a new dealer and take away as much business as possible via word of mouth.

Welcome, I am new myself, about a month or so...have learned alot and have much, much more to go....

Lesson One 1.) Change to Metal Washers!

You commented early on that you may wait until the 'winter' to change those clutch washers

BAD IDEA

change them NOW...it is not difficult

mods and warranty concerns are important ...but the very first piece of advice you need to absorb is life or death, literally for your engine, those ceramics are a ticking time bomb....You have been warned my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by ARNYGOLLOTT3 View Post
    the very first piece of advice you need to absorb is life or death, literally for your engine, those ceramics are a ticking time bomb....You have been warned my friend!
    hahaha, we must be doing something right, even the new guys have jumped on the non-ceramic bandwagon!

lol

+1
    concerning dealers, I stand by my statement in another post about price and pickle-smooching dealers....find a good dealer 1st, then haggle, yea u might pay a little more...but in the end, its the better deal. Sorry to hear your dealers attitude and he has much to learn.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information