Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Lake MI ride from Northpoint to Chicago

On Sun Aug 12th there is a group of us planning to ride from Winthrop Harbor to downtown Chicago.

The plan is to launch from Northpoint/Skipper Buds Marina in Winthrop Harbor then go as far South as Soldier Field. We can check out Navy Pier from the water and tool around along the shoreline. We will need to refuel @ Belmont Harbor then make our way back.

It is going to be about 100 miles roundtrip. Boats should be ready to go by 10:00 am I am thinking we could be downtown by 12:00 and back to Winthrop Harbor sometime around 4:00 depending on weather.

Fuel - We can refuel @ Belmont Harbor I have used that Marina a bunch of times with no problems with the quality of fuel. In a 1200 GPR I burned about 10 gals of fuel to get down to the Peir and back to Belmont a SeaDoo 951 is about the same. Two stroke guys - dont forget oil !!!!

Conditions - West winds are best. Anything else is a crap shoot. Last time out we had 1-2 footers on the way there and 3-5 at times on the way back. On a few other occasions I have seen only 1 footers. It can be a challenge but its worth it.

Food - We will stop over by Baha Temple (spelling ?) In the Evanston area for lunch bring a sandwich and drinks. It is a nice sandy bottom over there so no skis can get damaged. I will try and find a formal rest spot about 1/2 way there to rest and hangout for a few minutes.

+1
    The Marina info = http://www.npmonline.com/Map.htm free to Launch - Plenty of parking and security.

Here is a link to a Google Map as you can see plenty of room for us. To the N is a swim area - no skis but there will be miles of beach areas to the South
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...&t=k&z=18&om=1

+1

ride!

I'm in! Like Bill said nice launch to start off, good sights along the way. Boat traffic is a little aggressive in Chicago, but really no worry. Going further to see soldier field and the shed aquarium would be cool!

If it won't piss anyone off we should spread this thread around to some of the other forums general discussion areas to drum up some riders.

I am in Baby! Cant wait! West winds, and I will be there and back in 22 minutes at 81mph...

+1
    I want to go but cant see my old ski going for 2 hours on 1 tank of gas it would suck to stop 1/2 way

Count me in too!

Quote Originally Posted by RXP Steve View Post
    I am in Baby! Cant wait! West winds, and I will be there and back in 22 minutes at 81mph...
    I need to do this Ride just to experience riding on Lake Michigan.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    I want to go but cant see my old ski going for 2 hours on 1 tank of gas it would suck to stop 1/2 way
    A couple of years ago I was with someone that had a 95 1100 Waveraider or Waverunner 3 (a 3 seater) and made it without a prob Its only 10 gal or so before we get to Belmont.

I only mentioned the 2 hours because we will take a break and hangout.
    Last edited by mrbtd; 07-17-2007 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy River View Post
    I need to do this Ride just to experience riding on Lake Michigan.
    That one time on the mississipi when it was windy as hell and choppy....thats lake michigan, on most days Although getting splashed in the face wont make your eyes bleed like in the river...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP Steve View Post
    I am thinking no matter what winds your ski is going to like the 60 degree water temps .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information