Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Virage 700 Engine Carnage Pics. HELP! (advice please)

I had this in another thread about the oil pump cable end failing, also someting about impeller scraping, and you guys answered my questions. Thanks. Things are much bigger now and seem to deserve another thread.

A little history, first. Anyway this is a 2002 Virage 700, which I bought from a friend, for parts if nothing else, after he gave up and bought a new Yamaha. He and I bought identical skis for our wives at the end of 2002. His has had a much rougher, life as he has a couple of teenage sons. It's been a pain since he's owned it. Mine has been fairly trouble free, until lately. A couple of months ago his quit firing, and the dealer replaced the CDI module. It ran like crap and died in a flurry of smoke and noise soon after. Amazingly, my wife's quit firing about a week later. With the help of this board, and the service manual, I ended up replacing the CDI module also. It still runs great. Thanks guys! Love that search function.

The manual cautioned about checking the timing after replacing the CDI box, and I was glad I did, after finding it advanced about 25-30 degrees too much, with the new superceded part number CDI box. I told him about this, and that I suspected that this was his problem also. He talked to the dealer who even admitted he just replaced the box and didn't check the timing, as he's always done it that way, and it had always worked. He carried the ski back and the dealer found the oil pump cable end had come of and told him that was what caused the problem. He carried it home and said he was tired of messing with it and was going to sell it cheap.

Anyway I ended up buying it and am thinking about getting it going again. Heck, the world is 2/3 water, you cant have enough floating stuff.

I've alway been a fix-it kind of guy from rebuilding cars to motorcycles, an outboard, and everything else which breaks around the house. I just don't know all the particulars about these engines.

I know I need a cylinder, crankshaft rebuild, and top end kit. I need the advice of you Pro's on the case. I think it should be OK, but I'm no expert (down right stupid at times according to the wife) and would appreciate your opinions.

Anyway I've posted some pictures of the mess. Plese tell me what you think. I'm mostly asking about the part in the case, that the rod beat out, the little shelf just above the intake/reed housing. Will this cause a problem? Of course, any other wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Maybe I should just keep it for parts.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010012.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	375.9 KB 
ID:	31894   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010013.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	361.7 KB 
ID:	31895   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010010.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	366.1 KB 
ID:	31896   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010009.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	374.6 KB 
ID:	31897   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010005.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	384.3 KB 
ID:	31898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010002.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	388.6 KB 
ID:	31899  

+1
    Idon't think I'd be blaming the oil pump on this. We've all seen tons of these engines do the same thing and they had plenty of oil. I also wonder why the other cylinder has plenty of lubrication.
    My guess is the crank bearing came apart? How many hours on the engine?

It has about 190 hours on it. What do you think about the notch that the rod beat out of the case? Is that a problem?

+1
    It has certainly done it's job. Time to perform a rebuild.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether this case is still OK with the small dent the rod beat out of the shelf above the intake reed box? I don't think it will matter, but I don't know crap sometimes!

+1
    I don't know if the dent will affect it.I think used cases or at least the top half will be cheaper than the crank or cylinder.

Nice looking boat anchor. As long as the case is not cracked thru the flanges it's weldable. If you get a replacement upper case, the mains will need to be line-bored. The case halfs are manufactured as a pair. Might be better to look for another engine. Went thru this on a Hurricane. Have more in machining and parts than what the ski is worth.

Just smooth the case out a bit with a die grinder and sanding wheel...as long as its not cracked, it will be fine. Be sure to check the bottom half of the case as well. If the lower rod bearing crapped out, it could have cracked it there too. That motors been to hell and back!

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    What He Said ^^^^^

+1
    No cover over the engine coupler will do this .Water gets in the intake .Replace it and check the thru hull seal as well when you rebuild it .Advance the oil pump as well to give it some more oil ,New cable too .

Cheers

Bernie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information