want to get into racing

i want to try racing but don't want to put too much money into it just in case i don't like it. is there any way i can race my 2000 slx1200? doesn't handle very well. is there anything i can do to atleast keep up with the others? Also, is there any practice courses around windsor, ontario? thanks in advance.

+1
    Contact your local promoter and ask him if there is a Novice class you can join. Check into the endurance side of things and maybe get your feet wet that way, the guys/gals are usually a little freindlier.......at least here in the North.

+1

Racing..

There are two classes I know of you can race your 1200slx in. (Beginner Runabout and SuperCoarse) Personaly I would NOT race that boat at all. I have ridden a 2001 SLX 1200 many times and in choppy water combined with jetwash from other racers it will be dangerous to even try. I recommend purchasing a Polaris Pro785 or a SeaDoo XP. This will give you a great rec boat along with a VERY competive race boat that could be raced in Beginner Runabout, 800 LIMITED, 1200 Stock and even Amateur 800 Runabout. You can check out this website for race info..

www.uwpinc.com

oh ya diffently gotta have insurance for your self and the boat ,

dot helmet , basiclly all the stuff you need 2 be on the water anyway

+1
    Hhhheeeeyyyyy, we won a World Championship with an SL1050, it took some work but it's doable.

charles, you don't need to start with a first place, get your feet wet and go have some fun with it first.

+1
    Oh, it's doable....fun too. Get some good sponsons, side lifter wedges, good seat cover, a 2 deg wedge, OP extended plate, R/d intake, and go have FUN.

Talk to your local promoter about what type of safety equipment you need. STICK to the stock novice classes.

P.M dude, I am only about 35 min from you. NO racing in Ontario, BUT Mi has region 6, and it rocks. Better get another boat, you will get your ass kicked with that one, no kidding. Practice tracks, make your own. Just use some washer fluid jugs with some rope tied to it with some weight on the bottom. We use wore out cultivator teeth for weight. Come up to Ipperwash on wknds., we always have a track set up if there is a south wind.

thanks for all the info, if i get a new jet ski i will have to sell mine, and i think i would miss it, lol. theres a gp1200r around here, would that be good for racing? is it as playful as the slx? went to can-am cup this year to watch which is what started all this, had a great time even though it rained. also was thinking stand up but not sure if i would like it, do i have to get an sxr? thanks again.

i think the gpr is one of those glass-fast , meaning there fast on glass , you see alot of conversions in to that hull ,

i would get a pro , xp , virage or kawi 250 seems 2 be the new rough water favorite

1200R would be fine if you want to spend $6000 making it competitive. Just get a Pro 785 or XP Ltd and go race. If you go to the next Region 6 race, I am sure there will be at least one race boat that is there that will be cheap for sale. Where you will be racing, all the top guys will be riding $25000 race boats. Trust me, been there and done that. Stick to the 800cc and under Runabout novice class. You might be surprised how well you will do if you ride a stock pro 785.

Thread Information