Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Super Charger Clutch Workings

Well Tomorrow i have to take the RXP up to Seadoo and try to convince them to fix my clutch Properly. What I am really wondering about is how the Clutch actually works. I Really dont understand the working of it. I would like to go to the dealer with a little knowledge on the subject. Trying to avoid getting fed a bunch of BS. Any help on the subject will be great.

Here is a pic to show you where the clutch is:
    It is the discs, for the factory stock clutch set up.
    One purpose it to have a slip moment when the ski un-hooks from the water and the rapid rise in engine RPM`s, and then the ski re-hooks cause stresses on the supercharger shaft, so to eliviate this condition BRP engineers came up with this... ...PR...

It`s hard to see , but the discs are directly above and below the SC gear...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 01-11-2008 at 11:16 PM.

Clutch operation

.... So is it the "squeezing" action of the discs on the side of the gear that allows the clutch to work?
    i.e. More squeeze (tighter bolt at top) = less slip????

+1
    Pretty much, except that the bolt only gets so tight (I think it tightens against a step on the shaft) and actually gets torqued to a certain spec- the way to less slip (tighten) is to add shims to the clutch pack taking clearance away from that clutch sandwich and increasing tension on the ceramic washers (I think ).

Metal Discs

So, if we could find some suitable metal discs things would be better - at least they can't break up and look fairly simple to change.
    I'm a bit suprised Sea Doo are using Ceramic - you would think it would be more cost effective to change 10 metal discs than one ceramic (if they break up). Presumably, the disc break up is fairky rare??

In the UK, you get a standard 2 year warranty, but with no option to extend this. Is it advisable to change to an 06 clutch setup at the end of the warranty, or should we go for an 03(?) type with metal washers and just accept we have to change them periodically(???). What do you think.

+1
    The main thing is not to exceed 10lbs of torque on the clutch.
    We setup at 8 and reshim after 10 hours. The pressure washers and ceramics will break in in a couple of hours.
    YOU MUST BREAK IN A NEW SC CLUTCH at least an hour or so before doing wide open starts or chopping the throttle when running wide open.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Re: Metal Discs

Quote Originally Posted by bic1
    So, if we could find some suitable metal discs things would be better - at least they can't break up and look fairly simple to change.
    I'm a bit suprised Sea Doo are using Ceramic - you would think it would be more cost effective to change 10 metal discs than one ceramic (if they break up). Presumably, the disc break up is fairky rare??

In the UK, you get a standard 2 year warranty, but with no option to extend this. Is it advisable to change to an 06 clutch setup at the end of the warranty, or should we go for an 03(?) type with metal washers and just accept we have to change them periodically(???). What do you think.
    Les Cooke has "sepcial" hardened metal disks available for us to buy for 100 bucks.

Has Les fully tested the new disks? I know he has them for sale but was wondering how they hold up or if there are any problems with them. Has anyone switched to these disks with a stock SC? I just put my SC back after installing a Vortec impeller, and now I'm thinking I should pull it back out and put these disks in. Sometimes I feel like this cluch is a freakin timebomb just waiting to explode. Yah we can wait and have it covered under warrenty, but then there's downtime and being dependent on the dealer to fix it so it stays under warrenty, and the possibility of not getting all the particals out. And then all you have is a new timebomb installed. $100 is very cheap to make this issue go away.

Quote Originally Posted by RXDI2
    Has Les fully tested the new disks? I know he has them for sale but was wondering how they hold up or if there are any problems with them. Has anyone switched to these disks with a stock SC? I just put my SC back after installing a Vortec impeller, and now I'm thinking I should pull it back out and put these disks in. Sometimes I feel like this cluch is a freakin timebomb just waiting to explode. Yah we can wait and have it covered under warrenty, but then there's downtime and being dependent on the dealer to fix it so it stays under warrenty, and the possibility of not getting all the particals out. And then all you have is a new timebomb installed. $100 is very cheap to make this issue go away.
    You want to know something, I........... what he said

+1
    Les said he has over 100 sets out there and no problems. And there are people on here that are running his superchargers too, so if there are major problems we will find out I think. I would like to check my slip moment before installing my A kit supercharger, but other than that, my take is that they are a far better solution than keeping the ceramics in place. I still don't understand why they switched from the metal ones in the earlier SD'd skis ... I have not heard of specific problems with those ... Les said his discs average life is around 150 hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information