Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kenny Mack

Talking New Owner 2001 1200 XLT..questions

I am a new owner of a 2001 Yamaha 1200 XLT and have some questions......

1. I was told when filling it with oil just to watch the tank to not overfill.....tried it, overfilled it. Is there some trick to not overfilling???

2. the previous owner gave me a riva xll/xlt 1200 pro pump plug kit......does this keep the runner from cavitating?? How much does it cost to install??? Can I do it myself (I am an average mechanic)???

3. Is there a place I can find out info about the tilt and how to use it properly???

4. there is a fitting on the rear platform that shoots out a rooster tail.....not really into rooster tails....what can I do to talk that out???

Thanks for all of your help!!!!

XLTNoob
    I've got the exact same ski..

1. Just be really careful, and go really, really slow.

2. I'm curious about this myself.

3. All the tilt does is bring the nose of the ski up and down. The nozzle up brings the nose up. In flat water, I like to ride with the nose out of the water, I get a few extra MPH out of it. In rough water, I bring the nose down, it helps keep the ski from porpoising.

4. That's just a "Visibility Spout" I don't have mine blocked off, however, it's a common mod that is done all the time. Doesn't hurt anything at all if you do.

**EDIT**

OMG FORGOT THE MOST IMPORTANT TIPS

When running the ski on the trailer hooked up to the hose, start the engine first, THEN turn on the water. Engine, then water. Engine, then water.

You need to invest in a set of waveeater clips to hold your powervalve pins in. I'm fairly certain I dropped one in mine, and they'll save you hundreds, mabye thousands in repairs.
    Last edited by Jolly Roger; 07-18-2007 at 10:10 AM.

+1
    Did you by any chance buy David's Silver 01 XLT?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kennymack View Post
    I am a new owner of a 2001 Yamaha 1200 XLT and have some questions......

1. I was told when filling it with oil just to watch the tank to not overfill.....tried it, overfilled it. Is there some trick to not overfilling???
    Some times it is a little easier to see if you put a light in the front of the tank when filling it, and watch the oil level from the rear.

2. the previous owner gave me a riva xll/xlt 1200 pro pump plug kit......does this keep the runner from cavitating?? How much does it cost to install??? Can I do it myself (I am an average mechanic)??? The PPK does keep the ski from cavitating. There are many topics on this if you use the search function, there will be directions for the install. It is fairly simple and straight forward.

3. Is there a place I can find out info about the tilt and how to use it properly??? Simple. Bow up raises the front of the ski out of the water. Bow down "plants" the bow in the water. Up for smooth water, down for rough water. Play with it the next time you go out and you can feel the difference.

4. there is a fitting on the rear platform that shoots out a rooster tail.....not really into rooster tails....what can I do to talk that out??? If you want to do away with the visibility spout, all you have to do is remove the hose and cap the nipple that comes out of the top of the nozzle.

Thanks for all of your help!!!!

Welcome

Kenny Mack
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    Did you by any chance buy David's Silver 01 XLT?

Yes I did.....

Kenny Mack
    Quote Originally Posted by fuxxy View Post
    I've got the exact same ski..

1. Just be really careful, and go really, really slow.

2. I'm curious about this myself.

3. All the tilt does is bring the nose of the ski up and down. The nozzle up brings the nose up. In flat water, I like to ride with the nose out of the water, I get a few extra MPH out of it. In rough water, I bring the nose down, it helps keep the ski from porpoising.

4. That's just a "Visibility Spout" I don't have mine blocked off, however, it's a common mod that is done all the time. Doesn't hurt anything at all if you do.

**EDIT**

OMG FORGOT THE MOST IMPORTANT TIPS

When running the ski on the trailer hooked up to the hose, start the engine first, THEN turn on the water. Engine, then water. Engine, then water.

Don't have a hose kit for the runner yet........just changed out the plugs to some NGK's yesterday and ran it a couple of seconds to make sure it was ok.......

You need to invest in a set of waveeater clips to hold your powervalve pins in. I'm fairly certain I dropped one in mine, and they'll save you hundreds, mabye thousands in repairs.
    What are waveeater clips??? (so many questions...LOL)

+1
    Yes I did.....

Thats a nice ski... David is my son's godfather... I would start by installing that PPK and then do the mods I have listed in my sig file (the Hydroturf is nice but that ski has mint pads so you should be good for a while!). You will need an aftermarket intake grate asap since it is border line dangerous riding without one. I had that ski to 55.1 on GPS and it has more in it stock. You also need to find out why the trim is binding up on that ski, I bet it is a frozen cable.

Kenny Mack
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    Thats a nice ski... David is my son's godfather... I would start by installing that PPK and then do the mods I have listed in my sig file (the Hydroturf is nice but that ski has mint pads so you should be good for a while!). You will need an aftermarket intake grate asap since it is border line dangerous riding without one. I had that ski to 55.1 on GPS and it has more in it stock. You also need to find out why the trim is binding up on that ski, I bet it is a frozen cable.
    We had it out last weekend and I got it up to 52 at Lake Marble Falls....didn't want to go any faster on that water.....Why do you say it is borderline dangerous without a aftermarket intake grate??? Is the Riva pro pump plug kit he gave me the same thing??? Thanks for your help......

+1
    We had it out last weekend and I got it up to 52 at Lake Marble Falls....didn't want to go any faster on that water.....Why do you say it is borderline dangerous without a aftermarket intake grate??? Is the Riva pro pump plug kit he gave me the same thing??? Thanks for your help......
    No the PPK and the intake grate are totally different things. You need a R&D Intake Grate for a XLT1200 (I think they are right around $100 if I remember correctly). The PPK seals voids in the pump shoe, the intake grate is the "cover" over the pump tunnel where the water is forced in. The XLL and XLT have problems with suddenly turning sharp at speed and chunking you over the handle bars due to an OEM design flaw! I some good damage to the front of my XLL from a sharp right hand turn that my ski did on a narrow river which threw me into a dock at 30+mph (by the time I tried to slow it down)...

+1
    Here is some reading material for you! http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ght=xlt+intake

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information