How to test Fuel Injectors

Anyone know how to do it and check the spray pattern?

+1
    Take them to your local fuel injection shop. If they have the fixture they should be able to do it for you for a small fee.

Is it a simple 12v to turn them on?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    If I am not mistaken its a lot less than 12V to pop an injector.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    They must pulse to get a proper spray pattern, so just firing the injector will just make a big mess. Plus you need the fuel pump running to get pressure.

I have heard of people doing this... Pull the rail with the injectors
    attached, hold it to the side and crank the engine. Then you can watch the spray pattern. Due to liability reasons and risk of fire, I dont recommend this method (especially on the open forum).

The most accurate way was is how Jeff described, or heres how we do it at the shop... Manually fire up the fuel pump. Pulse the injectors individually, and note the pressure drop for each one. Requires special tools.

+1

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    They must pulse to get a proper spray pattern, so just firing the injector will just make a big mess. Plus you need the fuel pump running to get pressure.

I have heard of people doing this... Pull the rail with the injectors
    attached, hold it to the side and crank the engine. Then you can watch the spray pattern. Due to liability reasons and risk of fire, I dont recommend this method (especially on the open forum).

The most accurate way was is how Jeff described, or heres how we do it at the shop... Manually fire up the fuel pump. Pulse the injectors individually, and note the pressure drop for each one. Requires special tools.
    * I personally done this, I DO NOT RECOMMEND DUE TO SAFETY REASONS, but I also used a VERY WET towel I soaked with WATER laid across the engine for the spray pattern to spray against. I let the injectors spray into the wet towel

* I was doing some troubleshooting to ensure my injectors were not plugged. I'll tell ya, those injectors spray some fuel

Due to liability reasons and risk of fire, I dont recommend this method (especially on the open forum).

You could make your own cheap activation unit; get a couple of connectors that fit the injector, some 16/18 ga wire a couple of alligator clips and a momentary switch (all available from napa). Solder a piece of wire to each connector, solder an alligator clip to one of the wires, this will go from the injector to B+ the other wire goes to the momentary switch, then another piece of wire from the other terminal on the switch to the B- (with an alligator clip on the end. Each connector end goes onto the the injector which should be attached to the rail but out of the engine and a jar or glass placed under it, pressurize the rail by turning the ignition on then activate switch for a second and observe (hopefully) conical spray pattern.

You could also get some factory type fi connectors; go to a salvage yard and cut them off a vehicle that uses the same injector type connector as yours. Or you could buy basically the same thing only more professional looking with differnet interval times from a store like napa or from a snap-on tool truck, etc.

Thread Information