How Hard to Remove the Ride Plate.

I'm going to have to remove the ride plate to finish the preparation on the hull.

Is it difficult to remove the ride plate. Is it just as simple as removing the ride plate bolts and then on the inside remove the hoses feeding the coolant?

Is the ride plate only going to come off in half meaning the heat exchanging side when i take the bolts off?

Thanks guys.

+1
    yellow4, u got the fix for that hull flex at the foot? post some pics of that repair....document as much as u can Been following this for some time, did jawz get u strait on what needs to be done?

Just take off the bolts under the bottom and the 2 hoses in the ski .The plate will come out as one piece.You can drain the coolant at the rear of rideplate with the allen screw.

Be very careful the plate has to come straight down or you will crack the 2 plastic pipes that the hoses go on.
    To remove the rideplate, remove pump and place a Hyd jack on top of plate and jack the plate down. I put a piece of wood between the jack and plate and also between the jack and hull.

Be carefull the 2 pipes break easy and the plate will be junk,I know from experience
    Last edited by Hypertoys; 07-19-2007 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertoys View Post
    Be very careful the plate has to come straight down or you will crack the 2 plastic pipes that the hoses go on.
    Be carefull the 2 pipes break easy and the plate will be junk,I know from experience
    You mean those pipes don't unscrew from the rideplate? If they don't, then how do they attach? A while back I saw somewhere where you could replace those plastic pipes with stainless ones. I thought I had a leak once in that area and was told to unscrew them and reaply sealant.

Z06, The fix is to cut open the tub as they call it to expose the foot on the outer hull. Pictures of this are on this website somewhere. It's the original post from rudedog I believe and I think is it Mark at hydrotoys posted somewhere again.

I think it involves cutting a piece of your inner hull out forward of the front engine mount and underneath the gas tank.

Then once expose, the area where the foot of the inner hull is going to sit has to be reinforce with extra fiberglass that Rudedog person said about 1/4 of an inch extra. Then after this new foam like 8 - 16 lb foam from uscomposites, (closed cell) that well help to stabilize this area and bond to the inner and outer hull. This would be better than cheap ass styrofoam. I will document my findings so that I can post.

Talking to cbrich about actually making a new piece to fit over the foot area. balso wood, stringers running lengthwise and possible width wise as well. Also right now researching whether it would be a benefit to use carbon fiber for reinforcement instead of the traditional 6 oz woven cloth.

I'm convinced all hull problems and I didn't hit a rock. proof is in the evidence. When I finish with the bottom hull. I will make sure I take lots of pics for the inside.
    Last edited by yellow4; 07-19-2007 at 05:50 PM.

hyper, my hull is upside down on a pwc dolly. So I don't have to worry about it falling on my head right?

I'd like to see pics of one intact and off the ski. I've seen somewhere already shibby's when he was doing his ride plate tuning.

Here is the parts diagram of the rideplate .If you need a better picture I can take a picture of my spare one if you need it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	convert.gif 
Views:	148 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	32123  

thanks hyper, I got it. That thing is stuck on like a mother.

When jacking it up i did use the jack. You have to get the jack as close as possible to the inside near the tunnel area.

I can see how you can crack the two pipes. If your jacking it up more from the rear of the rid plate, you will torque and break the two plastic pipes.
    thanks for the tip and info. It came out with success.

and it's a friggin mess underneath. lot of cleaning up to do

Thread Information