97slt 780 pros and cons

thinkin about buyin one of these, lemme know what you know so i may miss the deal or build a reliable ski. found one real cheap and was thinkin about buying it as a fixer upper. ya know, for the friends to tare up.

spill the title issue! were are u from? thats a new one to me! I think goggle cleared it up lol

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Update the fuel system and it should be a pretty reliable ski. Just rebuild the fuel pump, new hoses and filters, rebuild the carbs, check the fuel selector and water seperator for obstructions. Pressure check the cases before you do any work to see if the seals are bad. Check the pump bearings and impeller for wear.

didnt the 97's have the updated fuel pump w/3 outlets? i thought it was 96ish they fixed the front cylinder lean problem? anyway, i will definatly give that a good look over, thanks.

+1
    The number one selling boat at our dealership (at the time of course), we never saw them come into the shop other than winterization or servicing.
    These engines are extremely strong and as you noted has been upgraded from head to toe. I would clean the carb filters and replace the fuel lines due to age as they will create a restriction and possible lean burning condition.
    It tows extremely well (better than the Domestic triple due to the RPM range), handles great for a 21/2 seater and with the touring seat it's extremely comfy.
    If it's been properly cared for, it's a killer craft that will give you years of trouble free operation.
    It should run between 50 and 52 MPH.

Thumbs up

My 96 SLT 780 has proven to be an excellent ski. I ride almost every w/e and its very reliable. Killer holeshot for a relatively big boat. Very stable and handles well w/ two people. Only thing- its slow, compared to the newer boats out there. All I did to mine was go thru the fuel sys as recommended here; new lines, rebuild carbs, etc. Always runs-always runs good........

then i guess i'll get it!!

any good reliable mods that can be done? like rear battery relocate like i put in my doo?

will the slx or sltx? pars swap like the hood and seat and stuff? i see things on ebay that are a different color and was wondering if they will swap.
    Last edited by cameron da river rat; 07-19-2007 at 06:32 PM.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron da river rat View Post
    didnt the 97's have the updated fuel pump w/3 outlets? i thought it was 96ish they fixed the front cylinder lean problem? anyway, i will definatly give that a good look over, thanks.
    Yes they did, that's why I said rebuild, not replace it. Kit runs $12 I think.

Thread Information