Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultra 150 starter install/removal

Ok, I tried to outsmart the manual on this U150. Step 1 said "remove engine". I laughed at the thought and proceeded to remove the starter. Well, all went well. I reinstalled the starter. Then, It hit me. Does the bendix just "fall" onto the starter splines that easy? It went back in so easy it was as if there were no bendix in the stator housing. I'm now scared to hit the starter til I have some feedback. Someone in here knows, and you know who you are!!!!!! Come on, hook a brotha up!!

Should be fine, I took the starter out of my 99 150 a few times without removing the engine, just lined it up and slipped it back in without any problems..

Thanx Chris. I'm normally on the Polaris side. I come across a Kawi ski everynow and then to tinker with. The starter just went in all too easy. I took it out and replaced the brush set (the cable lug broke off).
    I put a mirror in the bottom of the hull and refilled with oil to the middle of the sight glass (200 ml). This is right,..right?

p.s. and dammit, what an avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by twinstack1 View Post
    Thanx Chris. I'm normally on the Polaris side. I come across a Kawi ski everynow and then to tinker with. The starter just went in all too easy. I took it out and replaced the brush set (the cable lug broke off).
    I put a mirror in the bottom of the hull and refilled with oil to the middle of the sight glass (200 ml). This is right,..right?

p.s. and dammit, what an avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

200ml is correct. You should be fine. If the starter isn't engaged with the bendix the stater motor itself will just spin and nothing else so don't worry about it, hit the button already. The bendix stays in the same place because it spins on holes in the front cap and the crank case so it can NOT move, period. It can't move or fall down inside or get lodged into something if that's what your worried about. It's a fixed position where the bendix is located. Your fine unless something else is broke. Just hit the button and see what happens. If its already broke, you can't break it anymore!
    Last edited by STXR814; 07-19-2007 at 02:35 PM.

Update:
    hit the starter and heard the starter motor spin only. Then, "click". Battery's dead. I'm gonna get a new one and try it again after a good charge. I'll give yall the results later. Thanks.

"hit the starter already".....damn, sounds like I'm something I'd say to myself!!! lol

I put the new battery in it and the starter just spun. I just changed the brush cap. I wish now I'd of checked the armature. Oh hell, I probably just need to change the whole tamn dhing.

I put the new battery in it and the starter just spun. I just changed the brush cap. I wish now I'd of checked the armature. Oh hell, I probably just need to change the whole tamn dhing.

how do you know it was the starter to begin with? what was it doing to make you think it had to be the starter? imo, it sounds like you've got other issues besides a starter. For future reference the best way to check a starter is when you take it out like you had it leave the red wire hooked up (hot) and on the starter where the side is that the paint is rubbed off to make a circuit on the engine block just hold that part of the starter on an engine bolt and while your doing that hit the start button. There isn't that much kick to them at all, you can easily hold one while it turns and that will help you isolate a problem if you think you have a bad starter.

That's the reason I took it off. I suppose all of the banging around that the starter wire took it's toll on the lug. I just touched it and it broke off. The brush cap is the old style (pretty much all plastic). You may be right though about other issues. I had my meter plugged against the starter lug (while installed) and only got 11.75 v while mashin the starter button. I have 12.78 on the battery. The battery will dip while pressing the start button and then creeps back up to 12.75 after I let off.

ok, I'm back on this again. I put the project to the side for a few days and now.......

I reinstalled the starter w/the new brush cap. I checked the voltage going to the starter (cable removed) and got identical vltg as the battery.
    Still, after installing onto the engie, the starter motor only spins. As you hold the starter in your hand, looking down at the gear (or top of starter) it turns counter clockwise.
    I did reach in the starter hole and was able to turn the clutch one way, which is correct. The battery is not installed backwards. Is there a chance that the starter may have reversed it's polarity internally. I marked the thing before I took it apart. WDF?

Hello, I have a 2000 Ultra 150, it was running good and suddenly stopped and now the starter is not moving at all.
    Battery is fully charged.
    Any help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information