Using a Marine Fuel Filter on a Polaris???

I recently purchased a new 50HP Yamaha 2 stroke Outboard Engine. I had the dealer install a 10 Micron Filter on the boat.

The filters, claim to fame, is that it will filter out Water (and other stuff).

I originally thought the “water” feature was for the marine environment, but recently learned it is also to filter out the water in the fuel due to the alcohols affinity to leach out water present in today’s fuel.

So… my question: What do those of you, that are knowledgeable in this area, think about installing one of these in place of the original Polaris fuel filter and the hull mounted Water Separator.

I understand the restriction to flow situation in a 2-stroke engine creating a lean condition and holes in the pistons.

Seems like if it works on a 2 stroke outboard it would be OK on a 83 HP jet ski.

Comments please…see link.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard.../0/detail.aspx

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like a little overkill??. . . Compare the WOT fuel compsumption of the outboard and the polaris. The polaris probably needs more gas. If that's the case, this filter will probaly restrict too much fuel flow.

+1
    I would think installing the plumbing and housing for the spin on filter would be the larger task.
    The filter flows 90GPH, that's almost 4 times more than a trippple piped Domestic requires at WOT.If I calculated correctly or even if we go by basic rule of thumb.

10% fuel flow of rated HP
    230HP=23GPH at WOT

I run the Polaris water separator with the built in warning on all my PWC's even the Yami's I think it's the best factory filter! The Yami water separating filters are to small and one big wave will get that water mixed into the system again! Z
    Last edited by ZMANN; 07-19-2007 at 10:38 AM.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    I run the Polaris water separator with the built in warning on all my PWC's even the Yami's I think it's the best factory filter! The Yami water separating filters are to small and one big wave will get that water mixed into the system again! Z
    ZMANN, I have often considered if this would work on my 97 XLT special triple piped snowmobile, but can't begin to figure where I'd put it.

Thread Information