Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

How to change pump oil?

Hi all, need some help/advice for changing the pump oil in my vintage XP.

If anyone can explain it, or knows where there may be a link explaining 'How To", I would appreciate it.

Peter

ok, remove the nut and bolt that holds your steering linkage, and another for your vts, if equipped.
    Next, remove the four bolts for the steering nozzle and venturi, pull it off. You should see 3 bolts around the cone. remove these, take a rubber mallet and tap your cone off, placing a oil catcher underneath. Being carefull with your cone, dont want to drop your anti rattle spring and plunger? i think if it has been upgraded.
    After draining the stanky oil out, and while its draining do a visual inspection making sure you havent had water intrusion. Clean your cone up, when your ready, I put a little gasket sealer around the cone where it meets the pump, the allen insert screw will need to be placed so it is in a top position, make sure your o-ring doesnt get pinched when putting the cone back on. Snug your bolts up on the cone, careful not to overtighten.
    Refill with pump oil, I use the Amsoil stuff, but you can also use Mobile 75W140 synthetic gear lubricant or anything that meets or exceeds the API Service GL-5 rating available at most auto parts stores.
    It might take a few minutes to completely fill, it settles a little, refill, settles...etc...
    Put your steering nozzle and ring back on, linkages, and your done. I dont think I forgot anything.....BigT

+1

Thumbs up

Thanks BigT. Just one last question:

I haven't had any problems yet, however, is there anything in particular I might want to look for when the assembly is apart? Like color of the oil, quantity that is going to come out, beer caps? LoL
    Afterall, I am just a graphics guy.

You can put a piece of cardboard between the rideplate and pump so the oil will run down into the catch can.

Not much to look for. Check for shavings, etc. It doesn't take much oil to do the change.

If its white or creamy looking perhaps water intrusion. Ever changed the oil on your car or truck, and left the drain pan out in the rain? Sorta like that. Like medic says, metal shavings etc.not a whole lot of oil, but it will stink. not much else to look at, you can check your impellor clearance to wear ring while you have it apart, not sure what yr model you have so cant tell you the max on the wear. Just be careful putting the cone back on, take your time dont pinch the oring. ......BigT

+1

Thanx guys.

Thank you both for the help.
    BTW, it's for a '94 xp.
    I know...little old, then again so am I! LoL

I ride it like a stand up and have fun in spite of it's age. My riding pal has an RXP, really nice, and fast, just too big and not as scarry.
    (I like the older roller coasters as you never know when a bolt might pop out of the track and kill ya.) LoL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	32183   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	32184  

like others suggested just go ahead and use some good quality gear oil from the autoparts store, since you should be changing it every season anyways you don't need anything super fancy. Even the crappiest gear oil will hold up for years of abuse. I used a big gulp cup to drain mine into, its not very much, I'd estimate under 16 ounces. Color is the biggy if its a soupy lighter brown then you're getting water in there and you need to replace the oring at the very least, but you'll want to check your bearings for water damage just to be safe. I oiled up my oring before putting it back together just to help prevent pinching it or it getting caught...

+1
    i find it easier to pull the pump to change the oil. i also fill the pump with as much oil as i can while the cone is off. greatly reduces the time to fill it up and you can be sure that it is in fact full with no air pockets. put the cone back on and fill the rest up.

+1
    Hi guys, I might not know each part by name, but got the job done. I made this 2 part video to help others in the future who also want to do an oil change.

Credits were given to the four of you and to Greenhulk.net for having available this 2 stroke section.

Many thanks!!

Changing pump oil in vintage sea-doo part 1of 2

Changing pump oil in vintage sea-doo part 2 of 2

+1
    Sweet ! =d>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information