03 GTX 4 TEC hood shock problems

I have a Seadoo 2003 GTX with a bad hood shock. I have bought a new one and cant seem to get it to fit. I cant compress it to snap into place. Has anyone that has replaced one of these offer any tips?
    Thanx a bunch

Put the Bottom part on first, then take a long breaker bar or something that has a flat or grooved side. Stick this into the top of the access opening a few inches past the hood hardware, while the middle of the bar rests on top of the shock. Enough needs to be sticking out so you can use the bar as a lever to compress the shock just a little bit, then pop it on. I use an 18" breaker bar and the shock nestles into a groove that goes down the side. Once the shock is off of it's limit, it's not too bad to work with.

Take the two top hinge bolts off and have someone carefully lift it up and then snap it into place! The weight of the hood will compress the shock so you can put the front two hinges back on!

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy River View Post
    Take the two top hinge bolts off and have someone carefully lift it up and then snap it into place! The weight of the hood will compress the shock so you can put the front two hinges back on!

Don't forget to put a towel or rag on the tip to prevent the plastic from scoring the gelcoat....

they can be a pain. especially the new ones. but like the other guy said. atatch the bottom and use a pry bar of some sort, i use a flat head screw driver and use the leverage to push the top and compress the strut enought to clip it in place.

The lever that the shock attaches to has a rectangle shaped hole in it. 1.unhook the rod that connects to your hatch..2 attach the gas shock. 3 use a 1/2 socket wrench (just the wrench, not with a socket) and put the drive of the wrench in the rectangle groove of the lever arm. push down on the socket wrench and while doing so , re attach the metal rod the the hatch.

someone on the site explained it to me for my RXT, I assume your set up is the same and it is very easy to do this way

Thread Information