Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy 2 skis, 2 problems

Hello Group.. I just joined the forum and have some questions hopefully you guys can answer. I have a 94 SL750 that will not start..... I have had it for 11 years now..I have not had any problems whatsoever with it until now... I push the start button and nothing happens..The engine is not turning over at all. I hear a small click that I think is coming from the electrical box... I put a different battery in it and that is not the problem..I tried hitting the reset button on the box and that did nothing also... The problem started up north in the water. The engine was turning over and after several attempts, the engine does not turn over now... I am guessing it is an electrical issue so, how do I tell if it is a starter, cdi box, stator, or a coil issue???? I have an electrical tester but am not an expert by any means... I did not check for spark but since the engine isn't turning over I am thinking it wont show anyway.....

Now, my other jetski is a 96' SLX780... I can start the machine and it runs but it sounds like it is bogging down bad and does not excelerate like it should.. (Like the throttle limiter is working).The MFD does not work and the red light stays on.. (It's kind of hard to read a warning if the display doesn't work, I know).. I read the owners manual and it said the cooling system may be plugged... I took the hose off of the thermostat and there is no sand in it. As far as the intake in the back of the machine, it looks fine with no blockage.. I put new plugs in thinking maybe a cylinder wasn't firing but the new plugs are fine... I know this thread is long, but any help you guys can give me would be great.... Thanks.

+1
    Welcome Teal Ducks.

Sounds like a bad cable or a bad battery on that first one. Have you inspected them?

Thanks for the reply.. I will check the cables tomorrow but am thinking that is not it...

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk. First remove the spark plugs and try turning the crank by hand. Remove the black cover where the engine and driveshaft meet and hand turn it. If that's good, try checking the cables, especially the ground cable at the engine plate for solid connection. (no corrosion). Quite possibly it's the starter solenoid, try putting 12V to the starter directly to see if it will crank then. CAUTION: it will spark, make sure no gas fumes are present. if still no crank after that, it may be the starter or bendix. Let us know what you find. ON the SLX, if the MFD light is on, you may be in limp mode. It will limit RPM to 4200. This is caused by low gas, low oil, or overheat. Lately alot of fuel floats are sinking, telling the CDI fuel is low even though the tank is full. Open the elec. box and remove the tan wire coming from the black CDI box going to the circuit board. If that helps, you're in limp mode and something needs to be addressed. If that doesn't help, then try cleaning the carbs and in linel fuel filter.

Thanks for the reply Xlint...I hope to learn a lot from this forum. Should I disconnect the cables on the battery and use a set of jumper cables to touch the starter solenoid??? I think that is what you meant but I wanted to make sure... I have never heard of a bendix so some explanation of what that is would be great.

The gas tank on the slx is low right now but I was unaware of a LIMP mode... I will fill it with gas and see if the light goes off... Never heard of that but I will try it and see... Also, my 750 has a garden hose adapter I hook up to fun water through it. The SLX does not have that fitting, just a plug.. Do you know where I can get one of those for my other machine???They are very usefull for running out of the water....

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    You can use jumper cables, (on the solenoid) but watch for the spark!! It will crank right away if all is good. The bendix is the part that engages the flywheel when you crank the starter, and retracts after it's started disengaging it. It's possible the float inside the tank is "gas logged" and not floating anymore. Even though the tank is full, it will still read low on the gauge and put the machine in limp mode. You should consider having your MFD repaired by Wetherby here on the forum (he's very fair priced). You should be able to read the MFD to see what the light is on for. And the flush kit can be had at alot of places. Any pwc supplier would have it like denniskirk.com, atlanticjetsports.com, parkeryamaha.com or even like Boaters World or West Marine may have them.

I filled the gas tank up, put a battery in and the light went out and the mfd is working now... If that was all that was wrong with it I lucked out....I was short on time so I did not get a chance to start it up as I had to come to work.... I tried starting the sl750 and there is a definite clicking noise coming from the electrical box... I will try and see if I can move the crank over tomorrow.. When I was referring to the flush kit, I was talking about the brass fitting that screws into the cooling tower,(I think that is what it is called!!!) then I can hook a garden hose up to that. You think they sell those at the stores you listed???? I have to work for the next 12 hours so I will try and do some more reading/learning on here...

+1
    TD,
    there is a method to using the flush kit. If you just turn on the water, with the ski not cranked, it will flood the engine and exhaust with water. Only turn on the water AFTER the ski is running, and turn off the water before shutting off the ski.

Thanks for the reply.... I use it the way you mentioned... I had to get towed to the boat ramp and did not think about water getting in the engine.. Hopefully upon removal from the water, all the water drained out of the exhaust.....

I took the guard off the drive coupler today to try and turn the crankshaft. I took the spark plugs out also...I was barely able to move it. How hard should it be to turn it over????? I put a cresent wrench on the flat part to turn it but there was not alot of room to turn it... I will do some further investigation tomorrow...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information