Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 95 SLT750 Starting issue

Hello,

First let me say that I am new to watercraft of any kind. Rode a waverunner last year ... what can I say, Im addicted.
    I bought a pair of older skis, couldnt pass on the price. One, the SLT runs, the SL dont.

I seem to have developed a few problems this past weekend. First, the ski is sometimes hard to start, I stopped to help someone on the water this weekend and ended up needing to be towed in myself. It was running fine then I shut it off to talk to the couple that was broke down, went to start it, and it wouldnt start. I added a touch of oil to the gas, I dont know if that may be my problem, It didnt matter if I put new plugs in or not. The next morning it started up ran until I went about a half mile to the ramp then died while I was loading it on the trailer. I can go outside right now it will fire right up just by bumping the start button.

Next, I went to check the oil tank level and found about six inches of water in the bilge. took it over to the ramp, put it on the trailer and drained it. put it back in the water and found a little stream coming in by the drive shaft. Greased it up and it quit ... until I ran it again and then it started again. Greased it and it quit. What parts would be bad that need to be replaced?

Next, Why does my MFD fuse keep blowing. Need a new seal on the electric box? Maybe?

And finally, the SL I have needs a motor. so Im thinking I have a parts machine. pretty cool. My SLT has reverse, my SL has trim. Can I put the trim on the SLT with the reverse or is it one or the other type thing.

Thanks for reading my long winded post, ANY help would be appreciated.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    First, welcome to the Hulk. Sounds like your fuel filters may be clogged. Fuel seeps past in time to start the engine, but not enough to sustain it maybe? Check all fuel lines and filters for obstructions. Also there are filters inside the carbs. What year SLT is it? The part you need is the seal/bearing for the drive shaft. They are easy to replace and pretty cheap for a used one off Ebay, or I have a few to sell. New they are around $80. Fuses blow because of voltage spikes usually. Check that the ground cable is on tight and the connection is clean. (no corrosion) Also disconnect the MFD when you install batt. cables as that may pop the fuse.

You can have trim and reverse.

95 SLT750 and SL750

Thanks for the replys. My two skis are both 95's. The SL750 looks to be a parts machine. motors shot. It has the trim on it that I want to put onthe SLT. Would the seal/bearing fit off the SL onto the SLT? Far as I can tell the only diff between the two machines (obviously besides one runs and one dont) is that the SLT is longer.

Ive only had the ski for about 2 months and it already has paid for itself.
    Bought both skis and a rusty double trailer for 250.00. If I only get the rest of the summer out of it, Im happy. but would like to have more fun on it.

+1
    With it being a 95, I would rebuild the old, or replace with a new triple outlet fuel pump. Fuel system is the weak link on these ski, so if you update it, you'll have a strong reliable ski. If you do the work yourself (it's not difficult to do) parts would run a little under $200 for a comepletely rebuilt fuel system. All the parts are interchangable between the skis engine and drive wise, and the SLT is a 3 seater while the SL is a 2.

I know the slt is a 3 and sl is 2 but since the slt is a foot longer than the sl wouldnt it be a longer drive shaft or is the motor set to the same distance to use all the same parts as the sl.

on the trim. I looked thru the clymer manual to try and find trim and reverse combo to figure out how to hook up the trim without losing the reverse, didnt see anything. would this be a difficult add on?

I am somewhat mechanically inclined when it comes to cars but two strokes are an entirely differant beast. im kinda scared to dig into it. I lost half of my hair trying to figure out how to remove intake and carbs and exhaust manifold from the SL Im afraid to dig into removing the jet drive to get to the exhaust.

Thanks for the help this site is great.

by the way, did anyone notice my question about adding oil to the fuel even with the oil injection hooked up? I eventually want to bybass the oil pump and go premix, Ive read enough about the front cylinder getting starved for oil and added a little oil to my gas on the last fill up. Thats when my hard starting started.

+1
    The drive shafts are the same length. Trim/reverse Can be done, Ph20 and Beerdart have done it already, but I don't think you will find any literature on it. NOTHING is very difficult on the skis, don't worry about pulling the jet pump, it's cake. Just don't remove the 4 nuts from the wear to hull, just remove the 4 bolts closest to the nozzle and the pump will pull right off. If you're adding oil with the oil injection hooked up, you priob will have starting issues. The injection system doesn't restrict oil flow to MAG, what you read was fuel. It won't hurt anything to add oil, but that's why you prob are having harder starts. Either go premix 40:1 or leave the injection system, and maybe get a new pump and oil lines for piece of mind.

+1
    I didn't see your post about adding oil as well as running injection, but I do that on my SLX. I add 1 oz per gallon (roughly), as a bit of a preventative measure, in case the injection fails. The author of the Seloc manuals, Clarence Coles, recommends this practice. Doesn't cause me any hard starting.

I also keep my injection tank completely topped off, and check it every day I ride, to be sure the level is changing, so hopefully if I do get a failure I'll notice it before any damage is done.

I'm a big fan of premix, I have 3 other skis all premix, and a couple of 2 stroke bikes too. But the SLX is running so well I just don't wanna mess with it!

I tried to take the nozzle off to get to the driveshaft and got the bolts out but couldnt get the nozzle to come off. I dont know if I missed something or if it is just froze. any guesses on how to separate? Also, are there any other seals or tools required to pull the driveshaft and put it back?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information