Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blown up

Blown up

OK here are some pics of the motor half of the piston skirt on the exhaust side is broken off and I cant find it. Something was on top of the piston so maybe it brok eit up and sent it out the exhaust????????? Here are the pics. Ski lost power some I pulled the plug and it looked like it had pieces of aluminum between the electrode and threads. Pulled head and they looked like this Should I pull the engine out and take it all apart the crank looks like it has sides on it so nothihng should have got inside but I dont know these motors very well.

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...81/t_=91340581

+1
    Can you get a close up of the top of that piston, and the side profile of that rod?

From those pics it appears that the piston broke, and went up through the intake and back on top of the piston, and spit out the exhaust.

I've succesfully rebuilt plenty like that without pulling the engine. But you have to get every, EVERY piece of piston out of that crank case middle journal.

Maybe you didn't know it yet, but you can upload pictures straight to GH without having to use that crappy snapfish. PM if you need help.
    Glad to help.

I will try and get some more pics tonight. I looked and spun the crank and checked everywhere I can think of. Is there anyway for pieces to go places in the bottom of the engine? It looks like the crank journals have sides to them and if there where pieces they should be laying in this one journal. I am going to check the reeds as well because it was still running I thought it was a fouled plug and changed it but the new plug just got soaked too like something was dumping fuel right in there. I did drown the motor once but not while it was running and I pulled the plugs turned it over by hand then cranked it over with the motor to empty it out. Then I put the plugs back in with no fire to empty the exhaust out (because of course that was full too) Do you think this might have caused it ????? You can see the PTO side looks perfect for piston wash the mag side a little lean and you cant tell with the middle. Also where can I get a piston rings etc for a decent price and what should I use? I know with snowmobiles it makes a big difference on pistons like stock Polaris is forged or something so its a lot better piston than say a Wiseco. I am not worried about every little HP gain I can get I would rather be dependable BUT I am also broke LOL so soewhere between a soda can for a piston and pure gold price heheheheh. The cylinder says +10 on it so I would imagine it is .010 over but I will check the piston to see for sure. On snowmobiles its stamped right on them.

Sorry one more. If I want to do a check for piston wash should I buy a couple sets of head gaskets or if they are pretty new I can re use them? After I get it back together I want to make sure it is running a bit fat rather than lean and from what I have read piston wash is the best way to check.

I reuse them if they look clean sometimes I'll spray some gasket adhesive on them

I might have a line on this stuff but if it wont fit where can I get a decent deal on a piston and gasket kit? What bore sizes do they come in?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Ebay. from 1/4 all the way up to 1mm oversized.

OK I did a bunch of work on the ski tonight. I found the top of the other pistons where stamped 25 so they should be .010 over. That was my hope for the problem with the skirt that it was a standard size piston in a .010 over bore cylinder. I found the mag side looked lean PTO side almost perfect according to everything I have read on piston wash. I think the main jets are 90's. So here are some questions I really need some help with right away.

1. What should the cylinder measure out at .010 over?
    2. What should the piston measure at .010 over (maybe they are stamped wrong?
    3. What are stock jets for my ski and showing no wash on the mag side should I go 2 sizes over? Pulling the carbs sucks so I want to try and get it close.
    4. I thought one cylinder had a bigger jet than the others usually mine seem to be all the same.

More questions
    1. My reed valves on the middle cylinder have a small piece broken off the end and chips on the other 2 sets of reeds. I have a complete 650 motor are the reeds the same in that one? They look similar and are in very good shape.
    2. Carbs where right full of crap looks like someone threw up in them LOL. Can I put a regular auto style inline fuel filter before the fuel pump if I dont already have one?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Umm, what ski and year is it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information