Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 94 SL 650 - hooked up garden hose, now water in cyls?

Hello, i searched for an answer but did not find anything. I have a 94 SL 650. I saw that towing can cause water get in to the engine by way of the exhaust but could hooking a hose up do the same? I hooked in up to the intake rail (?) where there is a connection. water flowed thru out the rear of the ski.

the rear most piston seems to have the most white gunk coming out of it when we crank the motor without the plugs. any suggestions on what to do to get the water out? Do i have cracked cases? thanks!!!

If you turned on the water without the engine running you will get water in there.
    Turn the ski over with the plugs out to get the water out ASAP if you dont you will rust your crank!

+1
    How did you make out extreme??

thanks

Hey thanks for the fast reply. I thought the cases might be cracked or something. We did turn it over without the plugs and they started to clean up a little. Its at my dads so i will go back over there and do that for awhile to get all the water out and then see if she will start. rookie mistake i guess... thanks

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Your head gaskets may be leaking. Make sure your torqued to 18 ft. lbs.

+1
    If the power is down after this incident you might want to check the crank index. If there was enough water in the cylinders and the engine was started (or tried and it just went clunk) you may have thrown the crank out of index.

good points

Ok so basically i dumped gas in the cyls and the carbs and turned it over without the plugs. eventually started. but seems like a fuel prob now. runs for a while when you dump gas into all 3 carbs. got the triple fuel pump on it. this is my first ski. it was all apart and the prev owner said the crank was twisted and provided a rebuilt crank. so we put back together with teh triple fuel pump. so..making progress i guess but still not in the water.

check your fuel selector switch
    check your fuel level
    check your fuel filter
    check your pulse line to see if there is water in it or the pump, water can go through the bottom end, through the pulse line and into the fuel pump and cause the prob you are talking about.
    did you flush the engine out COMPLETELY?
    what i use is alchohol and 2 stroke oil, i mix it about 50/50 and dump it down the carb with the plugs out and grounded to the end of the plug wires, dont forget that. hold the throttle wide open and dump and crank, i put a zip tie around the throttle lever to hold it if im by myself. and you better stand back cuz its gonna shoot some stuff out the spark plug holes. i usually stick somthing over the holes to keep it at bay.
    once flushed, clean the pulse line and fule pump to see if its good still, then give it another try.

oh yeah, next time you hook the hose to it, not sure if you know but you only need to crack the flow. and you need to pinch the fat hose leaving the cooling rail. i have a ball valve on the end of my hose when i do it and just crack it a tad. when you put full force, it will flood the engine and break the seal on the gaskets causing what your experiencing.

well, i flushed for a while and now she doesn't seem to be getting any gas...plugs are dry. will try to flush some more and check teh pulse line and fuel pump... runs with starter fluid, ya i know wrong thing to do. or runs also by dumping about a cup of gas into each carb... thanks again for the help...will keep trying.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information