Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Angry HELPPP!!!! Dropped Valve Retainer into hole

I read about watching out for the oil holes when doing the valve train upgrade and I did not see them. When putting a retainer back on and trying to line it up with a screwdriver, it disappears. I was not pushing hard on it and it was the valve next to the hole. Yeah I found the hole......after the fact. I'm 99.9% sure it went in there. Man I'm hoping and praying that I can get the retainer out. What do I need to do? Do I need any special tools? Where do those holes lead to? Hopefully I can so this myself because my local dealer sucks and does not have a clue.
    Last edited by joeg; 07-22-2007 at 01:16 AM.

sugg.

either a magnet or a shop vac

im sure others will chime in

be sure to clean out vac before so you can find the keeper

I dropped one also and it was sitting about 2" down in the hole. Stuck a magnet down there and pulled it right out. Hopefully you are this lucky, otherwise these holes should lead down tothe oil pan.

+1
    get the strongest damn magnet u can find (Mac Tools has 1 that lifts anything but a 1/2 impact gun), and put a long-azz skinny nail on it.....and go fishing I am going out to the shop now to see this little hole in question, going to see if it can make it into the crankcase BRB

+1
    OK, as long as its NOT the cyl. in the rear, u WILL get it out w, small flex magnet BUT, if the rear cyl., it don't look like u will have a good day slot at the rear slopes down and back, big enough for keeper to get by....

Quote Originally Posted by 9secZO6 View Post
    OK, as long as its NOT the cyl. in the rear, u WILL get it out w, small flex magnet BUT, if the rear cyl., it don't look like u will have a good day slot at the rear slopes down and back, big enough for keeper to get by....
    Well if you look at the motor from the left side, you have 3 separate sets of 4 valves that you need to upgrade. The hole it fell down was at the set furthest to the right (closest to the rear), down the hole to the right of the lower valve, second from the right. Does it sound like I'm screwed? If I can't get it with a magnet, what's next? Where do these holes lead to? BTW, I just got back from Radio Shack and I bought several different magnets to see if I can rig something.

Most auto parts stores sell the telescopic magnets. I use them to fish tools from under the engine all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by bankyf View Post
    I dropped one also and it was sitting about 2" down in the hole. Stuck a magnet down there and pulled it right out. Hopefully you are this lucky, otherwise these holes should lead down tothe oil pan.
    Just wondering what your method was. Where did you get the magnet, what kind of magnet and how did you stick it down there?

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    Just wondering what your method was. Where did you get the magnet, what kind of magnet and how did you stick it down there?
    Oh man I cannot believe it!

FLASHBACK!....It happened to me! Dont worry, there is a small lip right inside that hole where the pin is most likely. If it fell through the same side mine did. Like everyone mentioned, get a magnet, one of those telescoping ones. Make sure the tip is not too big because it might not fit in....Otherwise get a penny nail with the magnet on the head of the nail and put it through the hole....Dont drop the nail in there now!

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    Any auto parts store would be your best bet for the magnet. Its like a pen style one that extends like an antenna thingy...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information