Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cool Ok guys, thinking polaris again... this time pro 785! Questions

Alright.. my luck has been not so good recently in searching for a new ski to replace my 97 yamaha gp1200 that I so foolishly sold recently. I've been looking at either slightly modified gp1200's, and ultra 150's and briefly at a 99 slx. However, I posted in the "general discussion area" with the urgent info needed on the slx, so I missed a killer deal.. $2200 with triton trailer, original accessories, and cover! But NOW there is a nice Polaris Pro 785 (97 model) that is less then 40 miles from me!

I need to know:

Reliability.. the ski has the following mods: Full UMI steering, beach house sponsons, red top carbs, and aftermarket air filter, and I believe a few extras, like boyesen rad valves, and something from hot seat performance (from the decals on the ski)..... that is all everything else is stock... how is it for a recreational ski? And... I thought the pro's had factory tripple pipes? I guess when I heard "factory" people were talking about "factory pipe" the brand of aftermarket tripples... Anyway, compression on the ski is 160 160 and 158. I'm wanting a reliable ski like my yamaha was...

Also: How does it compare to other, much larger CC'd ski's.. like the ultra 150, or the gp1200 in performance, acceleration, and top speed? From what I read, the pro 785 is a beast, but it is only 785cc.. so I assume I should get about the same performance as an ultra, with much better handling and better gas mileage?

I need to know quickly.. I can buy it now and have it in my posession monday!

I thank you in advance!
    Jared

+1
    Jared, they are a greta macine BUT not for the guy who wants to do a lot of cruising.
    This thing will rail through the corners and still about as fast to 55 as anything built.
    The do require more maintenance than the GP.
    The ride is pretty tough as well.
    If I were you, I'd ride one first.

What's the top speed on them? are they basically like the SL780 I had, except much much faster? I could deal with that ride... just if it didn't jump as much, which I'm sure these.. don't?.. with an extended ride plate, and scoop grate, can they be made enjoyable? It is SO much cheaper then the ultra's I've been looking at, and I hear they can be deadly and throw you any second going 65! My gp handled great, but topped out at 61mph ONE time... 58 on normal...

+1
    A 97 Pro785 is like a thoroughbred race horse.
    -Don't tie it to the wagon. It ain't made for pulling/
    -Expect it to bite you when you least expect it.
    -Turns on a dime.
    -Can be high maintenance if not careful.
    -Cheaper to shoot it than repair it.

97:
    -Thinnest hulls of all the year pro's. Keep marine tex very, very handy.
    -Stock carbs were facing left/right and were very touchy on jetting.
    -97 prop is one nasty sob out of the hole, but a little lacking up top.
    -Ugliest Pro graphics (Polaris was always a little "light in the loafers" in the graphics dept.)
    -Some 97s came with aluminum stator, and some with SST stator.
    -Power valves are a PAIN in the arse.
    -All pro's have a super small gas tank and limited range.
    -Very much a "light switch" power delivery. The pipes hit HARD.
    -Factory Pipe will fix your leaky pipes.
    -The seat is about as comfortable as shoving a stick up your ass.
    -Very, very, very wet ride. Rip off the stock deflector and put on a jet-trim.
    -This hull does NOT do "doughnuts". Guarantee you will fly off every time.
    -Randy at watcon.com has the hookup on Pro parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    A 97 Pro785 is like a thoroughbred race horse.
    -Don't tie it to the wagon. It ain't made for pulling/
    -Expect it to bite you when you least expect it.
    -Turns on a dime.
    -Can be high maintenance if not careful.
    -Cheaper to shoot it than repair it.

97:
    -Thinnest hulls of all the year pro's. Keep marine tex very, very handy.
    -Stock carbs were facing left/right and were very touchy on jetting.
    -97 prop is one nasty sob out of the hole, but a little lacking up top.
    -Ugliest Pro graphics (Polaris was always a little "light in the loafers" in the graphics dept.)
    -Some 97s came with aluminum stator, and some with SST stator.
    -Power valves are a PAIN in the arse.
    -All pro's have a super small gas tank and limited range.
    -Very much a "light switch" power delivery. The pipes hit HARD.
    -Factory Pipe will fix your leaky pipes.
    -The seat is about as comfortable as shoving a stick up your ass.
    -Very, very, very wet ride. Rip off the stock deflector and put on a jet-trim.
    -This hull does NOT do "doughnuts". Guarantee you will fly off every time.
    -Randy at watcon.com has the hookup on Pro parts.

Ummm ok.. so I'm guessing you don't like them and I should be better off getting an ultra 150 or gp? Lol.. this one does have a jet trim deflector, and some other goodie mods... and they are or are not reliable? My sl780 was bullet proof.. these are not... by far or just by a little bit? LOL

+1
    NO, I LOVE the Pro. I ride one every other week. I sold it to a friend of mine, and it's a damn blast.

But it sure as hell ain't my first and only choice...especially if I had to ride only one watercraft.

+1
    Second from the right.... 97 Pro785. A true race craft!!!

NO, I LOVE the Pro. I ride one every other week. I sold it to a friend of mine, and it's a damn blast.

But it sure as hell ain't my first and only choice...especially if I had to ride only one watercraft.
    Lol, I hear ya. Well it will be a rec ski.. I'm not a racer, but I do love unleashed speed and acceleration.. I understand the older ultra 150's are killer in both deparments too, yet alot more expensive. So say you had like $3200 to kill which ski would you get? There's an 00 ultra like 15 minutes from me I'm going to swing by and look at tommorrow. It has some performance mods.. compression will tell a clearer story... I loved my gp1200, but I could do for a little faster (plus I'm having a hard time finding any worth buying locally) handled like a dream though with the beach house sponsons. Yep, I'd say the gp1200 was great for me, then I sold it like dumbass!

+1
    If I were to compare the handling on the three skis...

Pro-stuck to the water like glue.
    GP1200-good balance between handling and cornering. Quick but not fast.
    Ultra-loose and fun. Good top speed. Quick too. Dangerous in rough water. Cornering and handling about average for a flat-bottomed ski.

The Ultra handles very loose, and is a handful...okay, can be downright dangerous, in rough water. Very powerful. Very playful. Very good looking ski. I "hear" the shredmaster rideplate makes the Ultra150 much more controllable, and safer. The engines usually last past 200hrs if not modded or abused. Pumps are very touchy, but there is a wealth of knowledge on Ultras in the Kawi sections. Most of the die-hard Ultra150 riders went out and got Ultra-250's, so you do have some reference there. There was some issues with the pumps too. Can't remember but it was fixable. Good looking ski.

If I were to compare the handling on the three skis...

Pro-stuck to the water like glue.
    GP1200-good balance between handling and cornering. Quick but not fast.
    Ultra-loose and fun. Good top speed. Quick too. Dangerous in rough water. Cornering and handling about average for a flat-bottomed ski.

The Ultra handles very loose, and is a handful...okay, can be downright dangerous, in rough water. Very powerful. Very playful. Very good looking ski. I "hear" the shredmaster rideplate makes the Ultra150 much more controllable, and safer. The engines usually last past 200hrs if not modded or abused. Pumps are very touchy, but there is a wealth of knowledge on Ultras in the Kawi sections. Most of the die-hard Ultra150 riders went out and got Ultra-250's, so you do have some reference there. There was some issues with the pumps too. Can't remember but it was fixable. Good looking ski.
    Yeah, from what all I hear kawi is up there with yamahi if not tied at reliablity.. the ultra I"m looking at doesn't have engine "work" per say, just aftermarket flame arrestors, and a milled factory head.. plus I actually think it does come with the shreadmaster ride plate!

Now, back to my old friend the polaris... reliablity? when compared to the other two? I remember coming back from riding my old sl780 and just hurting from bouncing around.. I loved the nice comfortble seat of the yamaha! LOL but you cant have the best of both worlds I guess!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information