Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Cover or no Cover

When I went to Table Rock this last week - the resort I stayed at most people had Ski's. I was the only one with an RXP - so they were all standing around asking questions - wanting to know if they could drive it - NO !! But here was an interesting thing that came up -

Do you guys cover your ski when hauling it home or on the highway? They all do. Swear by it. But then their are Kawasaki's and Yamaha's - maybe they are hiding them

But when I bought mine the dealer said he would never cover one - because the material scratches the surface of the ski. He actually said it came down to preference - but was wondering - do you guys cover your ski's? I never have. Cover is still in the box - never opened. Anyone want to buy it? Kidding. Just wondering though.

Give me your thoughts on that ???!!

this is just that, your choice...
    A really good tight fitting cover is less likely to rub/scuff the surface that a loose fitting cheap cover.
    I did have a nice vented OEM cover on the GTX that did minial scuffing...
    so far it`s been ok trailering without the cover, but rocks and debris have hit the ski and scratched it here and there...PR...

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Coleybear View Post
    When I went to Table Rock this last week - the resort I stayed at most people had Ski's. I was the only one with an RXP - so they were all standing around asking questions - wanting to know if they could drive it - NO !! But here was an interesting thing that came up -

Do you guys cover your ski when hauling it home or on the highway? They all do. Swear by it. But then their are Kawasaki's and Yamaha's - maybe they are hiding them

But when I bought mine the dealer said he would never cover one - because the material scratches the surface of the ski. He actually said it came down to preference - but was wondering - do you guys cover your ski's? I never have. Cover is still in the box - never opened. Anyone want to buy it? Kidding. Just wondering though.

Give me your thoughts on that ???!!

I've always covered, just made sure the bungee was tight and that it was fitted properly....BUT someof the newer covers are not that nice on the ski, they can rub under high speeds, it all depends on your vehicle that is towing and the airflow over it onto the skis....Like when I tow my double with my RAM or Tahoe, the covers are always firmly planted...But when I tow it with my little pickup, they buffet.....When we went to mudbug and had a 4 place, the front 2 skis were fine but the rear too the backs of the covers came off due to buffeting...

Either way, I will tow with covers for protections....Its easy to replace a rubbed handle grip, or a plastic shroud on the hood....Its SUCKS when you have a deep rock gash on the top of the ski....

If you put the cover on properly it really should not do damage. It is when it is on loose and flaps around that it can cause problems. These problems are easliy fixed with some wax and a buffer.

Guess it really depends on where I am trailing it to....

The lauch I use is only about 3 miles from my house so when I go there no..... but when I bring it long distances, especially when on the expressway/thruway/highway or if I go on a road I know is going to be filled with debris I always use it......

The biggest reasoning I hear from all around is sometimes the cover rubs on the fiberglass and takes out some of the shine.... but my thought process is that I would rather not have a huge gouge through the primer from a rock than a small amount of shine that I know I can replace with this product out of Germany I found called Quixx, or any decent wax for that matter.

That's funny about people staring and asking questions.... they know seadoo is the chit and there is no comparison....

Ride my doo???? Better get a CT Scan because I know you are some kind of messed in the head..... no one drives my ski!!!!!

Banned User
    +1
    also, road grime...Went to Ozarks and back with cover on, no grime....went to mudbug with cover on, no grime...Come back from mudbug with NO cover on, ski is full of grime and bugs and nasty things...took me an afternoon to clean...

That's funny about people staring and asking questions.... they know seadoo is the chit and there is no comparison....

Ride my doo???? Better get a CT Scan because I know you are some kind of messed in the head..... no one drives my ski!!!!![/quote]

Ya - I thought he was kidding - but he was like - "can I" - I laughed - thought man - "got any more of the drugs your doing?" - That is like asking to drive someone else's Harley - not a question. But it was funny to tell them all about it.

Interesting - the guy said he just paid $45 for a quart of oil - I was like "oil for what?" - He said to mix with the gas for their ski's. Only thing I mix gas and oil is for my weed whip. LOL.

+1
    I get scuff marks as well when trailering with covers so I stopped....I do when not riding (with the seats proped slightly)

+1
    No cover here. The scuffs are easy enough to fix but its amazing what a small piece of debri stuck in the felt,(that the better covers have made into them to keep from scratching) can do during an 8 hour drive. I use for storage only. Its easier to clean it than to repair it. Get me once its there fault, twice its my fault!

The new black covers are no good IMO. I will be e-baying mine shortly! They look the best, but they scuffed my RXT pretty good! I will not cover my RXT when being pulled period!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information