Thread: Oil Level

+1

Oil Level

I was outside and decided, what the hell, let me check my oil level. So I do so and it's about 3/4 up between the two bends. That made me want to come inside and post a question on oil level. Then I realized..the ski was at such an angle when I took the reading that I'm the biggest idiot on the planet. SO, I get out the level and the jack and make it as perfectly level as I'm going to get it. The oil read EVEN higher! It's only a couple mm below the top bend. I have three questions:
    1) (this one is a stupid one) The engine hasn't been run in about 19 hours so IMO it's cold, BUT, the ski has been sitting out in the heat all morning. Will the heat effect the reading as far as the engine being 'cold' and the engine being 'hot'?
    2) I believe most people want there oil at the bottom bend when it's cold. Mine is near the top. How much oil should I take out?
    3) To triple check should I run the ski on the hose for 30 seconds, shut it off for 30 seconds, then get another reading?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

+1
    What, is every one out riding or something? It's not like today is a nice day
    I would be out riding too, but I have to tweak first

+1
    To properly check the oil:

1) Completely warm up the engine
    2) Allow the ski to run completely level for 30 seconds
    3) Shut the engine off and let it sit level for 30 seconds

I would at least run it on the hose a few minutes to warm it up before making any changes to the oil level.

the reason the oil level is to be checked with the engine being warm and right after it's is shut off is there are oil pumps, lines, cooler, passages, etc. that some of the oil will drain out of when it has been sitting. All of these things need to be full of oil when the level is checked. There is absolutely no way of knowing how much or how little oil has drained back into the case after it has been sitting for 10 minutes, 10 hours or 10 days, so the only way to get an accurate measurement of the amount of oil in the engine is just as sea-doo has instructed. Short cuts will kill you, do it the way the man said

+1
    I'm not taking a short cut LOL. I thought it was a plausible way of checking the oil because of reading where people like to have their oil when the engine is cold. They like it at the bottom bend. Mine was at the top bend. I thought it might be over-filled. Oh well. I will go run the hose and re-test. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    I'm not taking a short cut LOL. I thought it was a plausible way of checking the oil because of reading where people like to have their oil when the engine is cold. They like it at the bottom bend. Mine was at the top bend. I thought it might be over-filled. Oh well. I will go run the hose and re-test. Thanks.
    fizz, you really need to get the engine to operating temps, that`s a long time on the hose. it`s best to run it in the water, shut it down after warmed up, wait about a minute and check, the ski is considered level when floating in the water...PR...

+1
    Just got back about 15 mins ago from a good day of riding. I'm going to start the ski up for 30 secs on the hose and shut it off for 30 then test. I forgot to do this while it was in the water. Oh well. I'm happy with my ski right now. And it's exactly at 100.0 hours too.

Update: Checked it just now and it's right between the bends. False alarm! Will know for the future.
    Last edited by JFizzleJR; 07-22-2007 at 07:41 PM.

Thread Information