Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help me get this new motor started

Alright, dealing with a rebuilt 750 in a sl650. Lines are primed, tank is half full with 32:1, oil tank removed but a 33 ohm resistor is in place. While cranking I'm lightly misting premix into the carbs. So far all I've gotten is a smokey pop out the rear. Also, while cranking I hear what sounds like an alarm. High pitched, loud, steady tone alarm. Fuel guage still shows empty with 5 gallons in the tank, and the guage wires are hooked up. I thought that the motor would still run if the CDI thinks the tank is low?

I know there's going to be bugs to work out, as this was a complete rebuild of the ski, but right now the motor won't even start. Any ideas? I know it's very possible that I overlooked something very simple, so anything that comes to mind would help.

+1
    Do you have spark??
    The ski will start with low fuel that year does not have limp mode.
    Check all the electrical.

Ok double checked, no spark. Also I just noticed that the kind of resistor I got from radio shack says 33ohm, 1/2 watt, 5% tolerance on the package. That sound right?

One thing I want to check is grounding points. One runs from the bottom rear of the motor to the battery, could someone detail where others run so I can double check?

Something is triggering that alarm, but I'm a noob so I don't know if the CDI kills spark when it thinks there's no oil. Hmm....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mystahagy View Post
    Ok double checked, no spark. Also I just noticed that the kind of resistor I got from radio shack says 33ohm, 1/2 watt, 5% tolerance on the package. That sound right? Yes

One thing I want to check is grounding points. One runs from the bottom rear of the motor to the battery, could someone detail where others run so I can double check? The others are in the e-box. What box are you running? Check the handle bar switch.

Something is triggering that alarm, but I'm a noob so I don't know if the CDI kills spark when it thinks there's no oil. Hmm....

I'm running the original box that was in this sl650. Inside the box, no loose connections, no corrosion, it all looks new and untouched. Also checked out the handlebar switch. I pulled out the spring and plate and still no spark. It's continuity between the two contacts that kills the motor, right? No corrosion in the switch either. Cut out the old resistor and put in a new one just for the heck of it..... still hear that alarm when starting.

Still no spark. During motor installation, when I connected the "wire harness" to the new motor, I made solid connections with butt connectors on each wire. Also coated everything with liquid electrical coating and rubber tape.

Yes, it is continuty that kills the engine. A ground signal to the CDI box. The biggest thing is battery voltage while cranking.

+1
    The buzzer is probably the overheat sensor and my guess is you have the sensor wired to ground. How about a picture of the box and where do you have the overheat wire attached in the electrical box?

Battery is brand new and sitting at 12.44V at the moment. Here is a picture of the panel within the box.

When checking between the "Tan" terminal and ground, I get about 33 ohms, which is due to the resistor on the oil level wires. Otherwise, when the oil level wire is disconnected, the terminal board does not have continuity with ground.

Well I've been studying my shop manual, and on page 3.2 of "Electrical (1994)" I find this...

Note: SL650 CDI is not interchangeable with SL750 digital ignition parts.

Ok well I just put a '94 SL750 motor in a '95 SL650 hull with SL650 electrics. I was under the impression that these things were a direct swap. If not, can I just put a SL750 CDI in my electrical box, match up the wires and crank her up?

Thanks for all the help so far, I've got general automotive knowledge but I'm a ski noob. This is my first ski, and I want to get on the water!

+1
    Yes run the 750 CDI.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information