Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar

Unhappy Bye Bye XLT 1200 engine!!!

Ok, I never thought I'd write this thread but yes, it's here. My 1200 went to a better place called Yamaha heaven on Saturday. I was riding in Islamorada (Fl. Keys) when all of a sudden I lost complete power & my engine turned off. When I turned it back on, it sounded like I poured a can of pennies inside the crank case. I've been mixing 50:1 instead of 40:1 so I know that's how I ruined my engine. The engine turns over fine, infact it starts up & I even flushed it on the hose for about 2 minutes when I put it up on the trailer. However I dont want to continue messing with the engine so I dont make matters worst. I maybe to fix it myself. My mechanic is charging me $1400.00 to rebuild my engine with 18 month warantee. That doesn't include the carbs ofcourse that also need to be rebuilt. That's another $300. I'm lookin at $1,700.00 or so.

Here's the thing, I may be able to get a hold of a 1300R engine with very soon. It has 14 hours on it only. I know the 1300R engine is identical. What do I have to do in order for a 1300R engine to work in my XLT? Is it just bolt on & go? Do I need to make any other changes? So much for having fun during my vacations. What do I do? Descisions, descisions!!!
    Last edited by PWCManiac; 07-22-2007 at 03:06 PM.

+1
    If you are going to keep it carbed, the 1300 would be a good choice for an upgrade. If you are wanting to go EFI it will be a big expense.

All that you would have to do is drill the cases for pulse fittings, and rejet the carbs.

I think thats about it. If I am missing something, I'm sure someone will correct me.

What happened to your 1300r you bought? I swear you bought one awhile back.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsntx View Post
    If you are going to keep it carbed, the 1300 would be a good choice for an upgrade. If you are wanting to go EFI it will be a big expense.

All that you would have to do is drill the cases for pulse fittings, and rejet the carbs.

I think thats about it. If I am missing something, I'm sure someone will correct me.
    I would actually be getting the entire thing. Engine, exhaust, etc... EVERYTHING!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post
    What happened to your 1300r you bought? I swear you bought one awhile back.
    That 1300R was bought half & half between my step dad & I. But his cousin wanted a waverunner & I gave up my half for him. I'm not interested in 1300 R hulls. Very beautiful, very fast but I need storage & I love these XLT bodies. I would love a 1300 R engine sitting in my engine bay.

Quote Originally Posted by PWCManiac View Post
    That 1300R was bought half & half between my step dad & I. But his cousin wanted a waverunner & I gave up my half for him. I'm not interested in 1300 R hulls. Very beautiful, very fast but I need storage & I love these XLT bodies. I would love a 1300 R engine sitting in my engine bay.
    Do it! I'm not sure how a 1300 would act in a XLT but it can only be faster!!!! Good luck on whatever you decide.

+1
    Soooo..... just an idea.
    get the 13r engine and install it.

While you are at it, get the xlt manual, and take apart the engine, and find out for yourself how easy these are to work on...

-Lots of money saved.
    -You might learn something.
    -You will have the XLT engine as a backup for pennys on the dollar.

Don't get me wrong. Nothing is CHEAP on a watercraft, but you might as well learn something from your disaster.

I have to agree with the DIY method...

What is actually wrong with your 1200 now? Atleast take it apart yourself and check it out.

+1
    I'm thinking about parting out the Crayola.... ever think about going 1500? It would probably be a bit more expensive that you are looking for, though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    I'm thinking about parting out the Crayola.... ever think about going 1500? It would probably be a bit more expensive that you are looking for, though.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information