Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1

XLT1200 I need help, wont start...

I was up at the Florida ski fest this weekend and the ski ran like champ as usual. About 1/2 before I was going to the ramp the ski would not accelerate hard and lost speed...then just shut down....I cranked her up again and I could not accelerate becouse it would bog down and turn off.....Let it burn some fuel to see if I choked it too much and nothing....then it ran perfect again.....then lost speed again and began bogging etc...etc...etc...After that it would not even start so I had to get towed in. There is basically no power on it on the cluster even....Got home and put the battery on the charger and it keeps cranking trying to start even when I take the lanyard off, I pressed the stop button and nothing...It would crank really slowly with the battery charger....I then used a jumper cable to use the battery on my Sea Doo and it cranks fast but would not start, and would not stop cranking for that matter. It just keeps cranking even with the lanyard off....

What can this be. I changed the plugs just for the heck of it and of course nothing.....

I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar
    It definitely sounds electrical to me. My XLT 1200 died the same way this weekend here in the Keys. (Look at my most recent thread) however when I started it back up it started but it sounded like a can full of pennies. I know I have a worst engine problem than yours. Good luck man. I'm local here in Miami just like you. I live right off of Miami Int'l Airport right by LeJeune Rd. If u need help, let me know. That's what we are here for.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PWCManiac View Post
    It definitely sounds electrical to me. My XLT 1200 died the same way this weekend here in the Keys. (Look at my most recent thread) however when I started it back up it started but it sounded like a can full of pennies. I know I have a worst engine problem than yours. Good luck man. I'm local here in Miami just like you. I live right off of Miami Int'l Airport right by LeJeune Rd. If u need help, let me know. That's what we are here for.
    Sweet man, thanks a lot. Who works on your ski? Or you do it all yourself?

I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar
    Geo, most of the work I do it myself. I have become very savy when it comes to these 2 stroke Yamaha Engines. I've rebuilt a 760 myself & also assembled an 800. I've played around with this 1200 now & it looks like I'm at it again. I'll be working on it these next few weeks. Don't know whether to stay with it or to end up getting a 1300R engine & installing it in my XLT. That would be sweet. When I dont do it myself, I send it to my mechanic down in Cutler Ridge. His name is Jorge. Great place, very sincere & down to the point. Let me know if u need more 411.

Start here: http://www.hydrotoys.com/gpr/tuners/...ce/XLT1200.pdf

1) check compression - each cylinder should read 120 (+- 5l).
    2) spark - get ready to crack the electric box and follow the Electrical Analysis section of the manual. Had to do this last year on my 99. Turned out my CDI was bad
    3) fuel -time to rebuild the carbs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PWCManiac View Post
    Geo, most of the work I do it myself. I have become very savy when it comes to these 2 stroke Yamaha Engines. I've rebuilt a 760 myself & also assembled an 800. I've played around with this 1200 now & it looks like I'm at it again. I'll be working on it these next few weeks. Don't know whether to stay with it or to end up getting a 1300R engine & installing it in my XLT. That would be sweet. When I dont do it myself, I send it to my mechanic down in Cutler Ridge. His name is Jorge. Great place, very sincere & down to the point. Let me know if u need more 411.
    PM me his info if you can and if you really trust him. I've had very very bad luck with ski mechanics....Only trust PPG but they are so up there for me sometimes....Cutler Ridge is a LOT closer to me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stilinsm View Post
    Start here: http://www.hydrotoys.com/gpr/tuners/...ce/XLT1200.pdf

1) check compression - each cylinder should read 120 (+- 5l).
    2) spark - get ready to crack the electric box and follow the Electrical Analysis section of the manual. Had to do this last year on my 99. Turned out my CDI was bad
    3) fuel -time to rebuild the carbs.
    Thanks for the link...

I dont think its the carbs since they were recently rebuild by Mandy's Performance and it worked perfect the whole weekend until today....

+1
    I'd def check the compression first. Your experience sounds like you probably seized. I'd be expecting to find at least one cylinder that's @ or near 0 compression.

+1
    Geo,

Sounds like a scuffed piston. Mine did the same thing earlier this year. Is there oil in the lines, like a pump feed cause seizure?

Mine would run until I applied any throttle and stop. Was able to make it back on 2 cyls. I had just changed oil lines and found the oil didn't make it back to the carbs yet, didn't premix or prime (yeah I'm stupid).

Anyway, post what you find. Check the plugs to see specs of aluminum on the tip. They should sparkle.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by snowrunner View Post
    Geo,

Sounds like a scuffed piston. Mine did the same thing earlier this year. Is there oil in the lines, like a pump feed cause seizure?

Mine would run until I applied any throttle and stop. Was able to make it back on 2 cyls. I had just changed oil lines and found the oil didn't make it back to the carbs yet, didn't premix or prime (yeah I'm stupid).

Anyway, post what you find. Check the plugs to see specs of aluminum on the tip. They should sparkle.
    Damn I threw the plugs away without checking that!

I really hope its not a cilynder! Why wont it even try to start though? And why would it run fine for a few minutes and then collapse again?

I wont be able to deal with it until Wednesday where I will start with the start/stop button assembly first.

I dont have an oil pump since I premix....I do 3 ounces of YamaLube for every gallon of 93 octane....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information