question for those with a professionally ported head

I'm not wanting any trade secrets but would like to know if the porter ground away or machined down the part of valve guide that is in the intake and exhaust ports? The reason I ask is after looking at a head I realized that the guide is only around 1 1/4" long. The lump around the exhaust guide is big restriction and the port would no doubt flow better without it but I'm thinking that the guide is short enough already without cutting 1/4"+ off. Anyone? PM me with your answer if you like. Thanks

+1
    On mine it was made thinner along with the valve seat BUT a dumb ass ground it with a tootsie roll and ground out a seat too much and it loosened up an fucked my motor@ 3 hrs. So.... Be very careful. And of course it was stuck up my ass! He wouldn't even give me the parts for the head that broke. And everybody here knows him!

I found the answer to my question on Rude Perf's site, his porting looks more like what I had in mind as being best and the way I've done in the past in that area.

I think the valve guides are so short to begin with, grinding them off is asking for trouble. Reshape them and leave the head casting to hold them would be the best bet or your risking big time damage.
    I noticed a florida dealer (we know who) had ground them off and it looks very scary and week. Would not put one of his on my ski!
    Ask yourself, is the cost and gains worth it? There is probably a lot more bang for your buck elsewhere in the system than posibly comprimising your engine for a "pretty" port job.

sunfun- that is my way of thinking, exactly. Thanks

I build Horsepower
    +1

Re: question for those with a professionally ported head

Quote Originally Posted by GTXX
    I'm not wanting any trade secrets but would like to know if the porter ground away or machined down the part of valve guide that is in the intake and exhaust ports?
    this is a long going augment but all tuners have there preferences and reasons why.

To be simple

Boosted motors
    Smooth intake (meaning remove the valve guide area),.. and smooth exhaust by polishing it

N/A

Rough intake/ Smooth exhaust polish it

There is a a lot of discussions of removing the valve guide area as to why its better or not, Traditional battle..

Hope that explains,. The debate..

your head will flow more with the guides flush with the port....no question. but at what cost? these 4 tec guides aren't that long to begin with so when you shorten them they wear....fast. its a trade off. best to find flow in other areas of the port if you want your head to stay on your engine for any length of time.

thanks for your input Nitro and RR. My thinking is a shorter guide that is already short to begin with will cause the guide to wear not just a little faster but a lot, then oil consumption goes up and the valve job goes quick. Longevity is always the number one consideration for me.

Thread Information