Diligence Pays Off

After what seemed like an eternity of running in the Mid to upper 74 mph range with an occasional 75 testing and tweaking on my problem child 03 GPR are paying off. Last week I had bored out my small nozzel looking for a few extra RPM's to say the least it was some what disapointing even though I did pick up an additional 40 RPM's I unforntunately lost 1.5 MPH enough said about that. Planning ahead I had allready bought a new 85mm nozzel from Osidebill and preped it up removing the syphon tube and vis spout. When I went to mount it I was already seeing a small gap at the bottom of the pump where the ring go's inside the nozzel and I knew that I would not be able to grind as much off of it as my last nozzel. So to help out in the clearance area I had desided to shim down my ride plate a little closer to the pump shoe in the front and reduce the angle in the rear about an extra .015 for pump nozzel clearence. During this time GPhotrod was laying under my boat looking at it and notices what he thinks is a slight hook at the rear of my hull and he ask me if I had a sanding block which I did from my days doing body work and a hand it to him. Needless to say about an hour later we had sanded off about he last 18 inches of the hull with some supprizing results at the number of what I can only call imperfections. Well to cut this story a little shorter the next day we go out and it was like I got a new boat I went from mid to upper 74 MPH to a consistant mid 75 MPH And I felt great about that. Then this week we went out and did a little testing and tuning on the injection trying to get them dialed in a little better and picked up a little RPM and about 2 to 3 more tenths of and MPH on average with a New best of 75.9 on multipal passes. I guess ther is always room for improvment you just have to keep pluggin away at it. I say this because I think alot of the new guys out there just think you can throw on a bunch of parts and the speed will be there and in some cases it maybe true if you pick the right parts but usually you will have to work at it to get it perfected and that means time and patients but if you keep working at it the results will come. And sometimes a little luck doesn't hurt either.

+1
    Congrats. I am a firm believer that the "little" things add up!

Hey I used to have one of those 97 GP 1200's I loved that thing even though it sucked out of the box from Yamaha I was a lemon but when all the bugs were worked out and I added a few mods it was a great boat sold it to a friend of mine he is still running it his forum name is JY when I had it radared at 65 I think he's got it doing 64 or 65 know and I can usually get an extra couple out it that he can't.

Good job of fine tuning Dave, keep poundin that rock!! Theres always more hiding...

+1
    Great job guys !

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by injected2stroke View Post

Hey I used to have one of those 97 GP 1200's I loved that thing even though it sucked out of the box from Yamaha I was a lemon but when all the bugs were worked out and I added a few mods it was a great boat sold it to a friend of mine he is still running it his forum name is JY when I had it radared at 65 I think he's got it doing 64 or 65 know and I can usually get an extra couple out it that he can't.
    The only problem that I had with mine from the factory was the stock plastic trim tabs. My hull has never cracked like some are known for.

Trim tabs were bad also. When I got her the first day at the lake all off the velosity stacks were off just bopin around in the air box. Trim cable was bent. Trim handle broke. And the battery went dead after one day.

+1
    Had the "problem child" out yesterday.I still get the biggest thrill out of that holeshot! I know the reason you can get more speed ouy of the GP than me is that "wind resistance" thing on top.
    Last edited by jy; 07-23-2007 at 05:27 PM.

Thread Information