Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cruiser Bikes-need Advice

Considering buying a cruiser with light touring capability. Want something with ample power for 2 up on the highway, enough room for the wifes big ass on the back, preferably a removeable windshield, bags and a backrest. I like the Victory kingpin tourer but it's a lot of money, also like the Yamaha stratoliner and V star 1300. I guess a harley road king would be nice but probably a lot of money for what you get as well. Suggestions? I want to be able to cruise around town and occasionally taqke it up to the lake for the week-end, a 4 hour ride.

I just went to the Harley dealer down the road. I liked the Heritage soft tail and the Road King. They're both 20k plus, that's ridiculous.

+1
    Get anything BUT a Hardley.

Look at the Suzuki 800 V-twin.Its high tech(4 valves per cyl. W-fi.) engine puts out as much hp & torque as a Harley,it looks waaaay bigger than it is,and it cost about 1/3 what a Harley would not to mention lower insurance.Imho its about the best bang for the buck out there,cruzer style.Hope this helps

I don't know, either my brain or my ego keeps telling me I need big cubes and 800 may not do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    I don't know, either my brain or my ego keeps telling me I need big cubes and 800 may not do the job.
    I felt exactly the same way,just go look at one.You cant tell its an 800,it looks huge You did say "ample" power though,thats why I mentioned the Fi and 4 valves per cyl.Im sure with pipes it would be up to the task,and for practical purposes,price,fuel consumption, and insururance along with a nice cushion your wife would be set for some nice pushen All I can say is go test ride one,you will be very impressed with the ride and power.I had a Valkerie,with cobra straight exhaust which sounded like no other,but I would buy the Suzuki for practicality this time around,if I was in the market.
    Last edited by H204YOU; 07-23-2007 at 10:59 PM.

+1
    Besides the Suzuki 800 mentioned here (the Boulevard C50T), I would look at the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic Ltd. It has a larger engine, disc brakes front and rear, belt drive (vs hp robbing shaft on the Suzuki) It also comes ready for touring with a windshield and bags. My friend has one and he weighs well over 200lbs, and his GF is a "load" too...yet the bike keeps up with the best of them in everyday driving, even with both of them on it. Looking at it, you would not guess it only has 903cc's. Has a BIG bike appearance.

Richard

+1
    Worth mention is the new for 2008 Suzuki C109RT. It is derived from the M109R, but comes with shield, bags, backrest etc. 109 ci of V twin power. Costs more than the other two, (list $15,000) but way less than a Harley for a lot more bike. You should also be able to talk the MSRP price down on any of the metric bikes...not up like on a Harley !!

Richard

+1
    One of the finest group of touring bikes is the Harley lineup. Fuel injected, belt driven and made of steel. Plenty of power and very reliable. Any opinions on this board are very outdated concerning Harleys. The metric cruisers can't even come close and least a hog doesn't have the stamp of the rising sun on Them. Yee Ha, going to Sturgis in a week, can't wait and yes it will be on a Harley.

Way2fast, I saw that C109RT advertised and it looks really nice. I think I prefer the Yamaha's though because of the belt drive. I'm not a big fan of the shaft drive. Skip, I really like the Harleys and if you take a close look at them the quality is definitely there. The thing is they are 5-7k overpriced compared to the metric cruisers. I'm all for buying American, but lets get real on the pricing especially considering that Harley is having a lot of the parts made in China from what I hear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information