Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Electrical Problem! NEWBIE HERE!

I just recently acquired a 1995 Polaris SL650 and the previous owner said that the ski would work but it would stall from time to time. Mech said it was a most likely a problem with the electrical box as the motor is only 2 years old.

I've been looking into buying an electrical box from eBay but I don't know the first thing to do to install it. I see where most of the wires go but some lead up to the front and I have no clue how I would get to them because the motor is in the way. There is another small wire that seems to be sealed into the motor also.

Can someone walk me through this? I really want to get this thing working...at least I want to disconnect the existing box so I can take a loook at it OUTSIDE of the ski in a more comfortable position. Could there possibly be a quick fix within the existing electrical box? I NEED HELP!!! Thanks everyone.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.
    All of the wires disconnect inside the electrical box. Remove the six bolts and split the box check for water and rust in the box. Report your findings. Whats your 20 there might be some members close to you that can help.

I am in Cleveland Heights, Ohio about 10 minutes east of downtown Cleveland. I will be home from work within the hour and I will get to work disassembling the electrical box. I will report findings tonight. Thanks for the timely response, I have a feeling I'm going to need a lot of help over the next few weeks to get this water ready.

Another question, will I be able to try and fire this thing up in my driveway? I want to be able to test it before I get it to the water.

+1
    I'd also like to say WELCOME!!
    I have a little different direction I'd like to take.
    When you say it stalls are you talking at idle, when coasting in or at WOT?
    I had a gentleman this weekend that said his stalled but then told me it stalled at WOT. He was having mini seizures due to an over-heat, it wound up being a plugges screen at the pump inlet.

+1
    Yes but you need a flush kit the attaches to the top of the cooling rail that is bolted to the heads. And only run it for a short time 2-3 min max.
    Procedure
    1: Start Engine
    2: Turn on water
    3: Turn off water
    4: Burp the throttle to clear the water from the exhaust
    5: Turn off Engine
    Never turn on the water with the Engine not running you can fill the water-box and get water into the cylinders Thur the exhaust

I'm not quite sure if I know what WOT means, if you mean wide open throttle then to my understanding no it does not happen at this moment. The previous owner said "the ski didn't like to idle, it liked to just go, when it idled it would frequently stall but when it got going it would just run". The entire engine was dropped in professionally 2 years ago and was all paid for by insurance apparently. He got it checked out by a professional for this problem and they said it was electrical.

Thanks beerdart for the info on the flush kit...that's what i figured from reading multiple threads but I thought I would verify just to be safe.

When I get this electrical box out I want to be sure I know where the wires go back in or I'll be in even more trouble!

+1
    All of the wires are color coded and gender specific. And the terminal board is also marked with the color code. WOT is what you think.

I won't be getting out of work as quickly as I thought but I will post pics tonight of the electrical box.

+1
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy..

Here's the situation...

Ok so here is the situation...I took the electrical box apart and found that there was a little bit of water in it...nothing substantial but a little bit might be substantial I have no idea. All the pieces were very gooeyish, like a lubricant or jelly kind of feel to them. Other than that nothing really caught my eye. I still don't know how the entire thing comes apart, so I just split it open as best I could so I could take pictures of each half. Here are the pics so let me know what you guys think...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010029.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	689.2 KB 
ID:	32558   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010030.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	637.9 KB 
ID:	32559  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information