gpr starting problems

I apogize as I'm a total noob! We just picked up a 2000 gp1200r. Previous owner had it stored for a year. Charged the battery, it held long enough to fire several times (10) out on the lake. Then I filled up with gas, it started drove out of marina in no wake zone stopped engine, and it wouldn't do anything after... No weak cranks, no ticks, just silence when hitting the start button. Today hooked to the charger it fires again. I'm not familiar with how this thing charges while running, but does this sound like a charging issue or bad battery?

+1
    Sounds like a dead battery to me. I just sold a ski that did the same thing to the new owner. I keep my skis on a maintainer, so I never noticed anything wrong. When I delivered it it started no problem for him a couple of times, but after it sat for just a matter of a couple of days, it was dead. (sorry Clint)

Put a new battery in it and see how it goes.

+1
    Yup, sounds like a battery.

+1
    Did you get a new batery.
    Bring your ski out to St Charles so I can check her out.
    How fast is it how did it handle ?
    I bought a back up batery have it sitting till I need it I would have to get some acid it came dry.
    I have acid left over from last 2 bat's but not quite enough.
    When you get your bat even though its charged when you add acid charge it like they tell you to so it has a full charge,they seem to have a memory and charge stronger after a full charge.
    When its charged start the ski and hook a volt meter to the bat to see if your charging or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Did you get a new batery.
    Bring your ski out to St Charles so I can check her out.
    How fast is it how did it handle ?
    I bought a back up batery have it sitting till I need it I would have to get some acid it came dry.
    I have acid left over from last 2 bat's but not quite enough.
    When you get your bat even though its charged when you add acid charge it like they tell you to so it has a full charge,they seem to have a memory and charge stronger after a full charge.
    When its charged start the ski and hook a volt meter to the bat to see if your charging or not.
    Got the new battery, installed and it started right up. I think the old battery is shot... Almost immediately after coming off the charger it will not start the ski. We'll se how it goes this weekend.

I haven't been on one of these in years, last ride was on a 97 sea doo spx... So for the few hours I was on the GPR it seems pretty nasty in comparison. I dunno really how fast it is, was pretty choppy on the chain last weekend. Taking it to a friend's house on Green Lake in WI this weekend, so hopefully I can get a better feel for it.

+1
    Spent a week or so in Green lake many years ago down the street from the police station and across the street from a bar.
    Long time ago.
    Deepest lake in wiskonsin

I just get in the habit of a new battery every year or two max, and when i dont ride for two weeks+ its on the charger in the garage

boconnor......get a primer kit, that will help it start, and there wont be as much strain on the batt,starter,flywheel...

Thread Information