Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: leaking air?

leaking air?

OK, if the pump seal itself is known to be good, and the carbon seal is good also, and everything else checks, where could you possibly be sucking in air?...PR...

^^^ ?...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 07-23-2007 at 08:23 PM.

+1
    intake grate bolt ?
    are you positive the carbon seal is good ?

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    intake grate bolt ?
    are you positive the carbon seal is good ?
    Hi Billie!, new carbon seal, boot in great shape, pump seal in good shape, (I have 2 so I tried them both) have stainless wear ring in good clearance of .009, props are perfect... nose cone in place.
    at first I had a bit of cavataion with the 3 blade, found sand in pump seal, swapped the seal and corrected condition. swapped back to stock prop and you can literally make the ski stand up when mashed, so it`s hooking up well.
    The reason I`m asking/searching is i`ve tried 3 different pitch props almost all within the same R`s and speeds, maxed out at 7600-7650 and have more throttle to go. It was suggested to me by a prop tuner to check for air leaks. everything looks good, no cracks, so I`m at a loss...PR...

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    if you have multiple props all hiting 7600+ with more throttle to go, doesn't it only make sense ur running against the rev limiter

bend a prop on ur own or find one that runs 7550 and let me know what happens... just for chits and giggles

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    if you have multiple props all hiting 7600+ with more throttle to go, doesn't it only make sense ur running against the rev limiter

bend a prop on ur own or find one that runs 7550 and let me know what happens... just for chits and giggles
    I`m to chicken to bend my own . I know I`m on the limiter...PR...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 07-23-2007 at 08:36 PM.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    so realistically any evidence or comparison or speeds or RPMs are 100% irrelevant until u get all 3 props off the rev limiter

give lenny the prop and a wrench, i bet he'll set ya up right

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    so realistically any evidence or comparison or speeds or RPMs are 100% irrelevant until u get all 3 props off the rev limiter

give lenny the prop and a wrench, i bet he'll set ya up right
    speed gain between 3 props, yes, by 1-2mph, but yes still on the limiter, never really paid attention to how much throttle was left until I read here the correct way to pitch a prop was to use all of the RPM band... so that`s what I`m looking into...PR...

the pump shoe and pump support both can leak air. it's only about a 5 minute job chop-chop, get to it!

usually an air leak will cause you blow the prop out from a dead stop then it will pick up enough speed that it is not noticable, kind of like a slipping clutching slowly hooking up. if yours holeshots good I would say prop pitching is needed.

I doubt that this will have anything to do with your set-up Andy, but make sure and check your drive shaft next time you have things apart. I am sure that a slight defect in my D.S. is what caused me some major problems a couple weeks ago. There was no vibration or anything until I hit 8400+ RPM's, then it felt more like a cavitation. Sh*t hit the fan before I could figure things out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information