BD

2002 GP1200R Oil Pump Coupler- Tech Question

Hi Folks,

Some may remember my post back in late April about a guy that bought my ski and ran it choke on until stall, cooked a new battery and claimed it needed a new motor.

Well, he's taking me to court for a new motor.

His dealer claims that the " Coupler that attaches the flywheel to oil pump is missing"..."so pump would not work and starve cylinders."

My question is for you guys with tear down knowledge of this motor. On what page is this coupler shown ? I can't find it anywhere in the OEM Service Manual.

Also, how could a ski run perfect for 70 hours, then suddenly vaporize an oil pump coupler?

Do they dis-integrate?

Fall into the hull?

Don't exist in the first place?

Need a solid comment or two by tomorrow. Thanks guys

BD

Previous GP1200R owner

+1
    Well, usually, purchases of used PWC are sold AS-IS. Not sure if you had that in the Bill of Sale.

The oil pump is ran by the bolt that holds the flywheel. part #5 on generator microfiche. This bolt has a slot in the middle that attaches to the oil pump driver. aka the "joint" per the microfiche. part # 2

Now, I am unsure as to how this coupler/joint fell off or whatever. He could have possibly ran it low on oil in the oil tank. An oil line could have fallen off. the snout on the crank could have also broke. The spring between the coupler/joint and flywheel bolt could have also broke causing the tension to fail on the coupler/joint against the flywheel bolt.

Its wrong he is taking you to court for a used ski he purchased.

OIL PUMP

GENERATOR

+1
    What Billy said. Unless you put in writing that this ski has a warranty, he can go screw himself. If he wanted a ski with a warranty, he should have bought a new one!
    I would get a lawyer. At the very least, do some online research and check your state laws about the buying and selling of used vehicles.
    There are a couple of lawyers on this sight, hopefully some will chime in.
    That is total BS.

+1
    PS,
    I have been on the Riva forum since 2000 and this one since since it started and I have never saw a post of a GPR oil pump going out. Not to say it has never happened, but doubtful. The oil lines coming off are almost a given.

BD

Smile 2002 GP1200R Oil Pump Coupler- Tech Question***COURT RESULTS***

Hi Guys,

Wanted to let you folks know how went Small Claims Court. I was Exonerated! Meaning, I won. The Plaintiff failed to show burden of proof. The "AS IS, No Warrantee Implied", Bill Of Sale was all it took. If he could have shown that I intentionally mis-represented the condition of the runner, he may have had a complaint that I defrauded him. That was his burden of proof. The Judge gave him his showtime since he had paid the fees. He maligned me the best he could, but he had signed the AS IS Sale Document and I believed in my heart that I sold him a good boat. I had a couple pals show up as witnesses, to testify that I'm a good guy and keep my machines in good order. That was cool!

The lesson here is to ALWAYS include the "AS IS, No Warrantee or Guarantee is Offered, clause in your Bill of Sales. Also might he helpful to put ALL SALES FINAL in there too. Have the Buyer sign and date it, and KEEP A COPY! And don't lie about the condition of the ski yur selling...

Thanks to Billy and Kirk for your support, comments and the microfiche.

BD

Thread Information