Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ultra Rebuild Options????

I am looking at a '00 ultra 150 that has a bad rear cylinder. I have read about other people having this problem and was wondering what are the common causes? My guess would be a lean condition cause by poor carb adjustment???

The other two cylinders are at 120 # ea. The ski has 80 hours total and the guy said it had 15 hours on this motor.

Can you get by with rebuilding just one cylinder? Where is the best place to buy parts? Why does everybody only sell pistons in sets?

What are your opinons about the ultra?

Thanks in advance guys!

I just bought one with a simmilar issue #2 was supposed to be burned. When I tore it down I found it had cracked oil lines. That is one common issue the other is that #3 can run alittle hotter and lean, some richen it up to fight this. For the pistons kawi sells them single if thats what was used previously. I think wsm does too. The cylinders can be found used or rebuilt you just have to be patient and look for them. New from kawi they are $500. Here is what happens when an oil line cracks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01689.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	32672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01691.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	32673  

Thanks for the info and pics digger! I am not sure if I want this thing or not. It quit running two years ago so, I'm thinking that I going to have to put new crank seals and such. I am going to stew over it for a couple of more days.

Thanks again!

If you can get it for the right price it would be worth it. The ultra is an easy ski to work on. It might be worth pulling the bad cylinder just to see what the damage is.

+1
    You can have it rechromed at millenium for $200.

Wankel till I die!! jonjonwells's Avatar
    If you can get a really good deal on it, then it is definately worth getting. If the ski has been sitting for only two years, your seals may still be good. Was it stored inside/outside, covered. I personally wouldn't pay over 3K for it. And that much only if it is mint other than the cylinder. A stock jug shouldn't be hard to find at all. There are plenty of slavage places for skis. If a new head is needed, I have some. Replacement piston heads are available as a single from just about anyone, just give them a call. Wiseco, WSM, Kawasaki, SBT, I'm sure others make them as well. Good luck

I offered him 2k for it. This thing is mint. Not a scratch or ding anywhere. It has been inside the whole time.

Thats what I just paid for mine with a double trailer and a set of buckshot 50s extra. That should put you in it pretty good after repair cost. It would even leave room for some aftermarket parts such as a shredmaster and some sponsons. Both of those are must have mods to me and a tripple pisser kit from skiworx.

+1
    I recently aquired the same ultra 150 i sold to a friend. The whole electrical system fried an he didnt want to deal with it. I must say tho, that out of all the skis iv ever had to get my hands in the 150 is a total bitch to work on. Last week i installed a new start/stop/trim switch, an omg what a pain just to get the old one out. Theres 3 wires going into the neck of the steering tube, an its narrow!!! Just taking the airbox off proved to be a bitch an a half. theres Two hidden screws underneath that reqtangular support plate. I hope you have a lift of some sort to get that beast of a motor outta there cuz its shoe horned in there. Good luck!!

Try taking the motor out of an RX, GSX, the pipe alone takes an hour, I can have the motor out of an ultra 150 in under 20 minutes. It's a piece of cake to work on,, done right you dont even have to remove the carbs..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information