Instead of RE's what about Fiberglassing the OPAS Area

I saw it here on somebody's post. But can't find where it is. A racing boat that they flattened out the hull and also filled in the opas areas with fiberglass. Don't you think that would offer the most seamless transition but it would be filled in and and smoothed so that it was a piece of the hull.

Any thoughts?

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    yellow4... I'm thinking about doing this exact thing to my 3-seater project hull. It's upside down right now and needs some work back there anyway

I was thinking about constructing a crude version of the RE/Riva block-offs for strength and then fiberglassing over them. It would definately be a better transition for water flow.

Jeff

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    Keep us posted!

Hey I've got my ski upside down too. This is the time to make any adjustments. True rideplate, Hull. PumpShoe all that kinda stuff.

This is how I see it. How to use marine foam to basically fill in the space and then shape the marine foam 8 lb or 16 lb to where you have enough room too add the thickness to make it flush with the hull. Then you can just go back to true the glass to the hull.

OR... maybe mold release in the area of the opas. Find a way to contain the foam. It's going to be rough. But then you can actually sand down the foam to the correct size. After that glue the foam into place and start placing your glass.

I think that if we did it that way. There's not even a crack between the RE and the Hull. It would be eliminated leaving a completely smooth area that look like the boat was built that way in the first place.

Thoughts on this? Let's find a way to make a mold of that area got any ideas boys?

Quote Originally Posted by yellow4 View Post
    Hey I've got my ski upside down too. This is the time to make any adjustments. True rideplate, Hull. PumpShoe all that kinda stuff.

This is how I see it. How to use marine foam to basically fill in the space and then shape the marine foam 8 lb or 16 lb to where you have enough room too add the thickness to make it flush with the hull. Then you can just go back to true the glass to the hull.

OR... maybe mold release in the area of the opas. Find a way to contain the foam. It's going to be rough. But then you can actually sand down the foam to the correct size. After that glue the foam into place and start placing your glass.

I think that if we did it that way. There's not even a crack between the RE and the Hull. It would be eliminated leaving a completely smooth area that look like the boat was built that way in the first place.

Thoughts on this? Let's find a way to make a mold of that area got any ideas boys?

How this is an interesting thought! I wonder if this has been tried with success? I also wonder if you pushed the sponsons back farther towards the rear of the hull after this project, how would this RXP handle? Would you rob speed?

It would have to be a custom made sponson. or better yet. Take the very first bolt of the sponson towards the bow and fill the hole that it left. Then if possible drill the hole into the newly fiberglass area or heck screw it in afterwards. That way you can set back your sponsons 4 - 5 inches.

This might be a great idea. Let's get some experts here.

what do you think guys. That would mean you could you use the factory oem or ANY aftermarket sponson you choose!

Thread Information