Runs fine but still only getting 55ish

Well my 00 RX is tuned and running great, but I'm still only getting 55-58mph out of it on glass. Air temps vary from 82-90 water temps have been around 78ish over the past few weekends.

Mods/Maintainance:
    *Rebuilt engine taken 10 over bore (1yr old & maybe 40hrs on it)
    *F/As and jetkit, carb cleaned and checked at same time
    *New fuel lines and filters
    *Pump oil changed, inspected/cleaned impeller, nozzle, etc.
    *New wear ring
    *New wires and plugs (which are showing good fuel mixture)
    *Raves cleaned and checked for proper working order

From what I can gather I've pretty much done/checked all the trouble areas that would limit my top speed. Everyone says I should be running around 60-63. Other than top speed everything is great; starts right up, idles fine, awesome acceleration, getting full rpms (6850). Is there something I'm missing or need to check?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    What prop are you running? Sounds like you are underpropped, with the lower pitched prop giving you the rpms but no speed. I would think you should see 6900 with a stock prop.

stock prop...hmm so I should be seeing 6900 rpms then? looks like I still have a few rpms to find...sigh..

bump for help... so am I still missing rpms then? From the research I did the max rpms was supposed to be 6850.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by jahkneefive View Post
    bump for help... so am I still missing rpms then? From the research I did the max rpms was supposed to be 6850.
    Sorry...been a bit busy at work to reply.

Stock...but you have flame arrestors...right? I'm assuming Fly's or Proks, right? You should see 100 more. Have you done plug chops? What jets did you rejet? A rich engine will kill max rpms. Is this the same prop before the rebuild? If so...what max rpms did you turn it before? Too much water in the pipe can kill it too.

BTW...I bored my 00XP once over OEM, added the PPG Level 1, which is a head mill, rejet and Flys. I didn't send them my prop...they aren't consistent on their bending technique. I sent it to Impros and had it bent 1 degree taller on the trailing edge. This substantially loads the engine more, and mine turned 7k rpm even running 65+ in freshwater.
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 07-26-2007 at 08:28 PM.

I ordered the kit from Bill O'Neil at watercraft magic, and he wouldnt tell me what the exact jet size was, just that it was correct for the less restrictive intake. The ski was running crappy due to plugged fuel filters before I tore it down so cant' really say what it was running as the last time it ran well was last season and all I can remember is the top speed 60. I checked to make sure the water valve wasn't leaking around the base, but what else could I check to see if there is too much water getting in the pipe?

+1
    you are close to max rpms. another 50-100 rpms is not going to get you from 55 to 62 mph. rpms will also change based on weather/humitidy/temperature. if you are running 58, then you might get to 60 with an extra 100 rpms. what are your high speed and low speed adjusters on the carbs set at?

i would look at your impellor. my guess is that something isn't right there.

impeller is perfect, checked everything out when I replaced the wear ring. With the larger jet kit for the F/As I'm running just over 3 turns out on lows and 1/8 turn out on highs.

Thread Information