Newbie with a SL900

Hello all. Great board. I have learned a ton since buying my first PWC (SL900) one week ago. Haven't put it in the water yet and dieing to do so. I have a few questions that I know you will be able to help me with.

1. How do you get the MFD to "light up". Do I have to start the machine up? I have a feeling mine is dead.

2. I understand that this thing is oil injected, what oil should i buy? How many tank of gas would I go through before going empty on oil?

3. This SL900 just went through complete rebuild. Crank, Rods, Pistons, Reeds you name it. Need some advice on break in. Should I add some oil to the gas or anything like that?

4. I am not really into tricks and that kinda stuff, just want to go fast. I know that this ski isn't the fastest but can someone tell me if it is at least above average?

5. I have read all kinds of stuff on winterizing and it makes my eyes water. I am going to be storing this thing in my garage, what exactly should I be doing to winterize?

6. Does anybody know where I might be able to find an aftermarket decal kit for this guy?

Thanks in advance and sorry for such a long post on my first post to this board.

Turk
    Chicago, IL

+1
    Hi Turk, Welcome to the Boards!!

Quote Originally Posted by turk0004 View Post
    Hello all. Great board. I have learned a ton since buying my first PWC (SL900) one week ago. Haven't put it in the water yet and dieing to do so. I have a few questions that I know you will be able to help me with.

1. How do you get the MFD to "light up". Do I have to start the machine up? I have a feeling mine is dead.
    Press the left side button and it should come out of hibrenation.

2. I understand that this thing is oil injected, what oil should i buy? How many tank of gas would I go through before going empty on oil?
    Any good TCWIII works good, I prefer a synthetc and uise Amsoil. I'm sure you'll get tons of suggestions on this one.

3. This SL900 just went through complete rebuild. Crank, Rods, Pistons, Reeds you name it. Need some advice on break in. Should I add some oil to the gas or anything like that?
    I know I like to break my and customer engines in at 32:1, remember varying speeds and going through heat/cool cycles seem to work best. You do also get the guys who say break it in like you're going to ride it.

4. I am not really into tricks and that kinda stuff, just want to go fast. I know that this ski isn't the fastest but can someone tell me if it is at least above average?
    It runs in the 60 zone.

5. I have read all kinds of stuff on winterizing and it makes my eyes water. I am going to be storing this thing in my garage, what exactly should I be doing to winterize?

6. Does anybody know where I might be able to find an aftermarket decal kit for this guy?

Thanks in advance and sorry for such a long post on my first post to this board.

It's actually not very lon. How about some pictures of your ride??

Turk
    Chicago, IL

Banned User
    PM 785 Lugs.
    He's in Chi-town (Joliet maybe), and can show you the ropes over there.

Thanks ph2o. My MFD was dead until I opened the box that mounts on top of the battery. In there was a bunch of jamok wiring. Pulled the MFD and pinned out the reddest wire in there and there was only 2vdc. Jumped 12vdc to that pin and whaaaaaaaaaaaaaamo display now works but with 2 issues. Some of the LCD display is faint, no big deal really, if I tilt my ugly head the right way I can see everything. The second issue is that the hours that is showing up on this thing is 13.5, can that be right? How accurate are these hour meters? Do they reset if the battery is changed or something? Or did I just buy this SL900 with 13.5 hours on it for $1800?

Clarification on oil. First, I see this site has some sort of deal with Amsoil. Is this true or did I just see someone advertising it as their signature? Also, do I premix the fuel to get 32:1 or can I just add to the fuel tank when it's topped off? BTW, how many gallons does this thing hold?

Attached is a pic of my SL900 and a future PWC competitor, my daughter Emmalee, already pullin' a stand up trick.

LOL

Turk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img_1861_.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	32716  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by turk0004 View Post
    Thanks ph2o. My MFD was dead until I opened the box that mounts on top of the battery. In there was a bunch of jamok wiring. Pulled the MFD and pinned out the reddest wire in there and there was only 2vdc. Jumped 12vdc to that pin and whaaaaaaaaaaaaaamo display now works but with 2 issues. Some of the LCD display is faint, no big deal really, if I tilt my ugly head the right way I can see everything. The second issue is that the hours that is showing up on this thing is 13.5, can that be right? How accurate are these hour meters? Do they reset if the battery is changed or something? Or did I just buy this SL900 with 13.5 hours on it for $1800?
    They will re-set on occassion during voltage spikes or power loss.
    Did you check the MFD fuse in the box? It's probably bad.

Clarification on oil. First, I see this site has some sort of deal with Amsoil. Is this true or did I just see someone advertising it as their signature? Also, do I premix the fuel to get 32:1 or can I just add to the fuel tank when it's topped off? BTW, how many gallons does this thing hold?
    12.5 gallons including reserve.
    Amsoil Synthetic at Wholesale cost. You may also qualify for an Amsoil sponsorship, where products are 1/2 off. Ask For Kevin www.TrySyntheticOil.com 800-AMSOIL-4U (267-6454) Web prices are retail, Wholesale Cost is 15-20% Off.
    E-Mail or Call for Wholesale Prices.

Attached is a pic of my SL900 and a future PWC competitor, my daughter Emmalee, already pullin' a stand up trick.
    Train he right, our youth needs to keep our sport alive.

LOL

Turk

Thread Information