+1

2003 GTX supercharged, should I do it?

Has 69 hours. The seller is asking $6k with cover and trailer.

From what I've read, the 03 supercharger has metal washers, so it won't fail in a manner that kills the engine. The 03 wear rings are plastic, so need to be replaced frequently (which maybe isn't a bad thing for me, since I will ride where there can be a lot of seaweed, and the bottom is sandy...)

Any thing else

All wear rings are plastic. Your ski has a plastis pump. As for the super charger clutch. I would rebuild it at 100 hours because it will slip sooner or later and the bearings will be on the way out.

you can probly find a better deal then that ....... and if you plan on modding to go faster you may want to find a ski with an engine without the cast pistins which i think that ski will have.....just my $.02

+1
    that's kind of high for a 5(going on 6)year old ski...i'd pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybat View Post
    that's kind of high for a 5(going on 6)year old ski...i'd pass.
    I just did NADA marine for my 04 GTX with the trailer and some goodies, low retail is 7900.00 ...PR...

RXP 260 X Short Course Veteran RXP244's Avatar
    +1
    The 03 GTX doesnt have metal washers. It doesnt have any washers. The gear runs againest the shaft and the metal spacer washer after the spring washers. It still fails and needs to be upgraded with the later model shaft.

I second all the comments above. You can do better on the price or go find a newer GTX or RXT. Then you won't have to buy the s/c upgrade kit ($400) and the new aluminum pump (over $500)

+1
    Thanks all for the replies, I decided to pass on this one. Besides the issues you mentioned, there are no maintenance records available, and the guy is the second owner.

Man I really want a PWC to ride this year, but I will be patient for the right deal

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i disagree with all the comments above...

it's a "fair price"... not a steal, not a rip off... it's a competitive price for a 4-stroke supercharged machine... a cover, a trailer, and a ski OTD for 6k ain't bad

why rebuild BRPs most reliable clutch setup? ride it out to the very end... fix it when it breaks, bc even when it breaks, no damage occurs.... how is a newer shaft giong to be more reliable? they've had bigger and better clutch kits every year and they all suck, so i see no evidence that upgrading to a newer kit is the best bet.

if u plan on keeping the ski stock... which i think u will... then leave it alone... u dont need a metal pump and all the other stuff... and chances are at this point the pump area was updated with the support bracket for 03 models which helped a 'little'

if i plan on modding the ski, then why buy a inferior platform? start with the best platform and then build it up... otherwise u will begin with a inferior machine and spend money building it to the newest specs

Just from my own personal experience, the supercharger clutch on one of my 03s was shot after 65 hrs. I went through 3 wear rings in two years even though I have the pump support, they were more worn on one side than the other from the pump flexing. Best of all, I bought two of them with a trailer and covers for $12,000 two years ago.

Thread Information