Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Early morning drag race

So here's the scenario - I'm driving down a major road in Houston on the way to work. It's five lanes wide, both directions. Light turns green at one of the stop lights and I see a Mazda RX8 and an Infinity G35 getting it on, all the way to the next light. One guy moves over, leaving an open lane at the next red light, so I split 'em and pull up between them at the next red light.

When I looked over into each car, it was middle aged oriental business men in suits driving - which I have to admit put a huge smile on my face. Good to know these guys still know how to have fun.

So, I give it a little rev and check out the reaction out of the corner of my eyes. Both looked at me, then looked at the "Lightning" badge, turned to face forward, then shoved it into first gear. It was weird - they both did these things at precisely the same time. The theme for the Matrix started going through my head right about then.

So anyway - light turns green and I roll into the throttle to avoid wheel spin then I put the hammer down. Right after the gear change I glance at the boost gauge (15 psi - check), then check out my side mirrors - buh bye!

Needless to say, I got some very strange looks from both of them at the next red light. I'm sure both were trying to figure out how they got smoked by a pickup truck; what the heck a "Lightning" is; and why it makes that funny noise under the hood.

Not that exciting to read about, but it sure got my blood going and put a smile on my face early in the morning

Damn right Dave......nothing better then having a "boost" for breakfast!!!!!!

Banned User
    +1
    you just boiled their noodles!

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    their Top Ramen was done at that point.

i still say the most fun i had was on the upperdeck of the I-10 in houston at 1 am watching a supra,rx-7, and a supra powered SC300 race

+1
    It's what I love about owning a Lightning - total sleeper. Almost nobody knows what they are, and properly modded they will run down almost anything out there. I've surprised more than my fair share of ricers and hotrods out there.

Then I get to hook up my ski on the weekends and tow. Heck, I sold my Vette to buy this truck!

+1
    Good story David, great way to start the day off.

Dont judge me...
    fullboogie: ur truck isnt stock i know what is done to it? also year?

Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    It's what I love about owning a Lightning - total sleeper. Almost nobody knows what they are, and properly modded they will run down almost anything out there. I've surprised more than my fair share of ricers and hotrods out there.

Then I get to hook up my ski on the weekends and tow. Heck, I sold my Vette to buy this truck!
    Man I love the Lightning. I actually wanted one but opted for a '07 Titan for practicality. However, I own a stroker Mustang, which like your Lightning is somewhat of a sleeper. Most people see it & say it's a nice GT but little do they know...

BTW - I've seen Lightning’s put down 360 to the wheels on the DYNO with no more than a pulley & CAI & run mid to low 12's at the drag strip. What a great truck!

+1
    It's a 2004 Lightning, black, black tinted windows. List of mods is not that long, but it'll knock down low 12's at 110 in decent weather on 12" Hoosiers.

I kind of have mixed feelings about the L. It's a great dual-purpose vehicle. Hotrod when I want it, tow vehicle when I need it. But I miss sitting low and shifting gears. I've always owned cars - 4 Mustangs, 1 Vette, and my favorite - a 71 Cuda. I punch myself in the head every morning for selling that car.

Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    It's a 2004 Lightning, black, black tinted windows. List of mods is not that long, but it'll knock down low 12's at 110 in decent weather on 12" Hoosiers.

I kind of have mixed feelings about the L. It's a great dual-purpose vehicle. Hotrod when I want it, tow vehicle when I need it. But I miss sitting low and shifting gears. I've always owned cars - 4 Mustangs, 1 Vette, and my favorite - a 71 Cuda. I punch myself in the head every morning for selling that car.
    Geat story Boogie.Just keep punching the throttle every morning not your head.Two kills at once aught to see you through the tough times,but I feel your though pain bro.I had a 65 Red Mustang Convertable I feel the same way about.I'll never sell my 69 427 Vette Oh-I love my 98 lightning look alike too!
    Last edited by H204YOU; 07-25-2007 at 07:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information