Thread: bendix blues

bendix blues

Hello! I am new to the pwc world and i need some help. I just bought a '94 sl 750 that supposedly only needed a starter. Well, i have replaced the starter and it will spin but the motor will not engage. I then charged the battery and tried again with no luck. From what I've read it seems that the bendix is my problem, but that was supposedly replaced recently. I dont know much about the bendix or how it works. Does it engage mechanically, electircally? Why do they fail? Do i have to replace it? Other than not running the ski seems to be pretty solid, with very few hours. It supposedly has around 200 hrs on it, but the display doesn't work. does it only work when the motor is running? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
    matt

+1
    Hi Mat, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!
    The bendix usually fails due to lack of lubrication (not that it's servicable) so removing it for an inspection is a must. It's located behind the flywheel and you must remove the front timing cover for access.

the guy I got it from said it had a new one. is there any way it may not have been lubricatedd or installed correctly? How much is a new one? how difficult are these covers to take off with the motor still in the hull? how difficult is the engine to remove (i.e. how much stuff will i need to disconnect/remove and how heavy is it)? also, does anyone know where i can find a breakdown for how it works? Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by matt cook; 07-25-2007 at 12:04 PM.

Matt welcome to green hulk I'm having a prob. with my Ben.too the easyer way to get to it is to remove the Eng it's not hard i did it myself but two people will make more easy the best thing to do is to get a shop manual it will walk you tough it setp by setp. good luck

Wankel till I die!! jonjonwells's Avatar
    I would Not recomend removing the engine to replace the bendix. Yes, it is easy, but realigning the pump after install is not worth it. You can get to the flywheel cover easily by removing your fuel tank. The hardest part is removing the flywheel. An impact is a huge help. Other than that, piece of cake.

I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1
    I'm having the same problem with my Bendix. I just soaked mine in some solvent and lubed it up realy well. Do you guys think it will be ok?

Wankel till I die!! jonjonwells's Avatar
    It is possible. I replaced one a few months ago that was just packed full of grit and rust. A good cleaning and lubing is worth a shot.

+1
    Yes solvent cleaning and a small amount of penetrene will do the trick .Make sure you can move the mechanism back and forth so that when it spins it can engage the flywheel

Cheers
    Bernie

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jonjonwells View Post
    I would Not recomend removing the engine to replace the bendix. Yes, it is easy, but realigning the pump after install is not worth it. You can get to the flywheel cover easily by removing your fuel tank. The hardest part is removing the flywheel. An impact is a huge help. Other than that, piece of cake.
    No need to re-align pump if you remove the engine. As long as you don't remove any shims from the mounts you'll be fine. Leave the engine in to remove the ftont cover. Just remove the gas tank and you can access it pretty easily.

Thread Information